RE: Translation of Revelation 19:9

From: B. Ward Powers (bwpowers@eagles.com.au)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 01:54:51 EDT

Memo Bill and co.,

At 07:25 PM 000419 -0500, Bill Ross wrote:
><gfsomel>
>...This is the antecedent to LEGEI in Rev. 19.9. While the verse does not
>itself contain the word AGGELOS, it does refer back to it. Apparently the
>translators felt the necessity to make this clear due to the intervening
>section describing the reaction to the casting of the millstone into the sea
>and the pronouncement of judgement against "Babylon."
>
><Bill>
>Just a reminder that "AGGELOS" means "messenger". While this is commonly
>used for cherubim and seraphim et al,

I would very much query your identification of AGGELOS with "cherubim and
seraphim et al". Cherubim are mentioned in twelve books of the OT, from
Genesis 3:24 onwards, and once in the NT (CEROUB, Heb 9:5). Seraphim are
only mentioned in the OT in Isaiah 6:1-7. and not at all in the NT. Both
types of beings have wings (for cherubim, see e.g. Exodus 25:20; for
seraphim, Isaiah 6:2 - note, six wings!!). They are never confused with
angels in the Bible; they do not look like angels (from respective
descriptions given) and they certainly do not look like men. Their role and
function is very different from that ascribed to angels.

Angels are NEVER described as having wings. Their appearance (in both OT
and NT references) is described as being that of young men, and indeed in
several passages they are taken (by some of those who see them) to be young
men. Their role is uniformly as that of God's messengers, bringing some
announcement or message from him. Which of course is indicated by the
significance of their name as AGGELOS.

>it is valid for others, including men
>or other communicators. Hence, one must ask who the messenger in the
>antecedent is.

Your point is well made that the word AGGELOS can also be used in refernce
to human messengers appointed by God.

>I'm not making a case for this not being a cherubim or seraphim

You can't have "a" cherubim or serephim: these words are Hebrew, and the
form is plural. The singular is cherub and seraph.

>or what have
>you, only posing a reminder lest we stumble on our assumptions. I do tend to
>think that it less often means cherubim et al than is commonly assumed.

I more than agree - in fact, it NEVER means cherubim.

>Bill Ross
>http://members.xoom.com/woundedego

In the interests of clarity in our use of biblical terms,

Ward

                                http://www.eagles.bbs.net.au/~bwpowers
Rev Dr B. Ward Powers Phone (International): 61-2-9799-7501
10 Grosvenor Crescent Phone (Australia): (02) 9799-7501
SUMMER HILL NSW 2130 email: bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au
AUSTRALIA. Director, Tyndale College