[b-greek] F. Danker's Definitions

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 16:06:46 EST

Some of fall out from a previous thread on translation glosses was the
suggestion by more than one person (on and off list) that the definitions in
Danker's (3rd ed.) are not quite up to some hypothetical standard which is
accepted by some school of thought on lexicography. Those raising this
objection were in fact NOT in agreement about the hypothetical standard nor
were they from the same school of thought on lexicography.

Lets take a look at just one word chosen by opening Danker at random and
blindly placing a finger on the page. The word my finger landed on is
hODHGOS (page 690 in Danker). Danker gives two definitions in bold type:

1) one who leads the way in reaching a desire destination, guide, leader...
2) one who assists another in following a path, guide, leader...

The first part of each is the definition, which is followed by two
translation glosses.

Now let's compare the entries for hODHGOS from Louw & Nida for the same
word:

15.183 hODHGOS one who guides ‹ Œguide, leader.¹

36.4 hODHGOS one who guides or leads ‹ Œleader, guide.¹

******

I do not see any reason to fault Danker's treatment of hODHGOS. hODHGOS is
a simple word and L&N does not give it much of a definition. L&N's two
entries on the word are examples of what I would call a mechanical
transformation from a gloss. Danker's treatment provides a little more
substance and could not be reached by any set of transformation rules.

Both Danker and L&N have citations and examples which fill out the entries
for hODHGOS. These citations and examples are a part of the extended
definition but at this point I am just focusing on what I would call the
definition proper. Some will object that by separating these two elements I
am falsifying the whole discussion and giving Danker an unfair advantage
over L&N. (Some may want to file suit for a hand recount, to see if L&N can
be declared the winner in the contest over hODHGOS. Hopefully it will not
need to go to the Federal Supreme Court to be resolved.)

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point