[b-greek] Re: F. Danker's Definitions

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 18:15:16 EST

On 12/10/00 3:06 PM, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> Lets take a look at just one word chosen by opening Danker at random and
> blindly placing a finger on the page. The word my finger landed on is
> hODHGOS (page 690 in Danker). Danker gives two definitions in bold type:
>
> 1) one who leads the way in reaching a desire destination, guide, leader...
> 2) one who assists another in following a path, guide, leader...
>
> The first part of each is the definition, which is followed by two
> translation glosses.
>
> Now let's compare the entries for hODHGOS from Louw & Nida for the same
> word:
>
> 15.183 hODHGOS one who guides ‹ Œguide, leader.¹
>
> 36.4 hODHGOS one who guides or leads ‹ Œleader, guide.¹

One of my favorite lexicons is _Analytical Lexicon of the Greek New
Testament_ by Friberg, Friberg, and Miller. Their entry for hODHGOS is as
follows:

"literally, one who leads on a path *guide, escort, leader* (AC 1.16);
figuratively, one acting as instructor of the ignorant or inexperienced
*guide, leader* (MT 23.16)"

As with the above two lexicons, there are definitions followed by glosses.
Unlike L-N, Friberg does not just resort to a definition that is little more
than a gloss transformed into a definition; unlike BDAG it is made
explicitly clear that the second definition is a figurative one and that the
guidance in view is that of instruction. So in my opinion it has them both
beat. But it may be that as entries are chosen at random the tables may be
turned. There may be some entries in L-N that are more to the point than
BDAG or Friberg and some in BDAG that are more instructive than L-N and
Friberg. We will have to see with use. But the point I want to make is that
it is helpful to resort to several lexicons for any given word since there
may be variance in quality *in regard to that specific word* from lexicon to
lexicon.

Steve