[b-greek] ENDIDUSKW

From: Cassian DelCogliano (cassian@holyroodguild.com)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 15:20:56 EST

Thanks to all who have replied to my query on ENDIDUSKW. I now better
understand how the reduplication DI and the suffix SK effect the basic verb
ENDUW. For those who may be interested I compiled some statistics on the
usage of ENDUW and ENDIDUSKW in all moods:

(1) In the NT, ENDUW is used 21 times and never in the present or imperfect
tenses; in the LXX, it is used 87 times, but only once in the present and
once in the imperfect.

(2) In the NT, ENDIDUSKW is used twice, once the present and once in the
imperfect; in the LXX, it used four times, all of which are either in the
present or imperfect.

So it seems to me that, at least in koine usage in the scriptures, it is as
if ENDIDUSKW is generally the first principle part of a verbal system of
the root EN + *DU, i.e. ENDIDUSKW, ENDUSW, ENEDUSA, the DI and SK being
used to alter the aspect of the aoristic *DU.

Thanks,
Cassian DelCogliano