[b-greek] Re: Imperfective aspect of PROSKUNEW in Matthew

From: Alan B. Thomas (a_b_thomas@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 15:32:18 EST

Iver...

> Since the imperfective aspect basically refers to
> something not yet complete in
> thought, is it significant that all these examples
> are followed by a present
> participle "saying"? Does it indicate that the
> kneeling down is simultaneous
> with or at least not considered complete until
> something has been said to
> explain the significance of the kneeling down?

I am having a hard time understanding this particular
description of the Imperfective, which would include
at least the Imperfect and Present Forms.

My instincts would be to say that an Imperfective
aspect of PROSKUNEW would simply indicate that the act
was in progress when yet another action took place,
not that it (worship) needed some other action
(saying) to "complete it." Perhaps you could simply
say, "While he was worshipping, he [also] began
saying..." That would imply that there were two
separate actions being discussed. And in this
instance, they overlapped. While the act of worship
was in progress, he began to speak. I would think that
this act of worship would have reached an end even if
he had not spoken a word.

A linguist may be able to take this discussion a few
levels deeper, but that is my understanding.

=====
Sincerely,

Alan B. Thomas

"Mary did you know... this child that you delivered,
would soon deliver you?