[b-greek] Re: Phil. 3

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 23:47:29 EST

On 1/4/01 8:51 PM, Mark Wilson wrote:

> KAI hHGOUMAI SKUBALA hINA CRISTON KERDHSW

> TOU GNWNAI AUTON
> KAI THN DUNAMIN THS ANASTASEWS AUTOU
> KAI [THN] KOINWNIAN [TWN] PAQHMATWN AUTOU
> SUMMORFIZOMENOS TWi QANATWi AUTOU
> EI PWS KATANTHSW EIS THN EXANASTASIN THN EK NEKRWN

> How do these accusatives (THN DUNAMIN, [THN] KOINWNIAN) function
> in relation to TOU GNWNAI? In other words, what exactly does it mean when
> the grammars say that the accusative is the "subject" (they always put subject
> in quotes) of the Infinitive? These accusatives seem more like objects of
> 'know' than subjects (at least in English).

They indeed are objects of GNWNAI. In the type of infinitival clause to
which you refer, IF the infinitive has a "subject" (semantically speaking)
it will be what some call the "accusative of respect." But just because
there is an accusative noun associated with the infinitive, this does not
mean it will automatically be the "subject." It may very well be the object
or even an adverbial accusative. The context will tell, although in certain
cases it is hard to decide. See Wallace, pp. 192ff. for further information.

> Syntactically, does SUMMORFIZOMENOS modify KERDHSW (since it is a finite
> verb) in verse 8?

Personally, I think it makes the best sense to take SUMMORFIZOMENOS as
modifying GNWNAI. It seems to me to have instrumental force ("that I may
know him ... by becoming conformed..."). The translators of NRSV apparently
took it this way.

Steve Lo Vullo,
Madison, WI