[b-greek] Re: KAIGE-Theodotion

From: Paul Fullmer (bpfullmer@home.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 14:07:34 EST

Emanuel Tov's "Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible (p. 145)" has a fine

"The Greek scroll of the Minor Prophets, found in Nahal Hever (1952) and
published in DJD VIII, contains an early revision of G named "kaige" by
Berthelemy.... In antiquity this anonymous revision was ascribed to
Theodotion, who apparently lived at the end of the second century CE. Hence
the translational units which are ascribed to Theodotion also belong to this
revision. Consequently, the revision is now named kaige-Theodotion, though
it should be noted that its various attestations are not uniform in
character. Its presumed early date, the middle of the first century BCE,
solves the so-called proto-Theodotionic problem which has long preoccupied
scholars.

"Barthelemy names the anonymous revision kaige because on of its distinctive
features is that '[Hebrew] gam,' 'also,' is usually translated with 'kaige,'
'at least,' apparently following the rabbinic hermeneutical rule that each
"gam" in the Bible refers not only to the word(s) occurring after it, but
also to one additional word...."

I'm a new member appreciating your active e-group!

Paul Fullmer
Graduate Theological Union
Berkeley, CA