[b-greek] Jn 13:10; NIYASQAI

From: virgil newkirk (virgilsalvage1@email.msn.com)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 19:43:03 EST

To Paul, Carl, Mark, and all...

    The exchange concerning AIFPassive as compared to AIFMiddle was very
helpful in seeing, who is having done what to whom and what we have to do,
to what we have that's in need of having something done to it. Now I'm not
trying to affirm that that was funny... by saying that it wasn't meant to
be. What I mean is this: I am quite often bothered by the fact that, as Carl
said, referring to how translations are worded.....sometimes putting as
passive what is really middle, that their wording it that way, does not mean
that translators have mis-understood the Greek. Well, it's both maddening
and saddening, that in fact if they understood...why didn't they let their
readers know ! The readers of translations have a right to know just what
the Greek text legitimately can be understood to mean...too !

    Paul then asks, " Why would the NAB ( e.g. ) word it that way? Allow me
to intimate that it is the old theological bias beast incessantly raising
it's head. Both the NAB and the NWT say very clearly....The one "who has
bathed"...needs to have feet washed. Notice how the passive/middle is
reversed. Instead of the meaning of the Greek that says...hey...this is
LELOUMENOS..perfect ( a process went on here, some things were
happening(participle) culminating in a standing result ) and it was
something that was " done to you " with the result that you are now clean.
I. E. it happened to you ! Then the Greek says there is a part left for you
" to do "....NIYASQAI...acting on or concerning yourself. NAB...NWT.. You
did something and now you are going to have something done to you.
Greek....You've had something involved and substantial done to you and now
there is something you will be able and required to do.

     A few translations that bring the Greek out in the open so the readers
can see it are...Wuest " An Expanded Translation " says , He who has " been
bathed " all over stays bathed, and does not have need except " to wash his
feet ". Then there is Andy Gaus's " The Unvarnished New Testament " which
says, " The cleansed person needs no more than to wash his feet." I'm
straining against the bit in wanting to refer to what this indicates,
however, suffice to say it is what the Greek indicates here that is
important. We receive...a whole lot.....then have opportunity to carry on.

   Hoping for value and usefulness...

  Virgil Newkirk
  Salt Lake City, Utah