[b-greek] Passive Instrument: A Clarification

From: Matthew R. Miller (biblicalscribe@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 15:45:23 EDT

Let me clarify my last post. In Colossians 1:16, how is the phrase "en
autw" being grammatically used? En + Dative is not the normal Greek
passive agency, which is usually accomplished by dative of instrument or
agency. But "en autw" would then have no recourse but to be locative.
However, the locative in this passage makes no sense. What would that be
saying? That all of creation geographically exists inside Christ's
physical body? Thus, am I justified in understanding this, by process of
elimination, as simply a peculiar, but not unwarranted, perphrastic dative
of passive agency? Thanks, Matthew R. Miller