[b-greek] Re: DOMATA in Mal 1:3

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 14:59:54 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2002 10:51:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cees@vanveelen.xs4all.nl writes:

>> As far as I can tell, the word DOMATA (in Mal 1:3) is accusative plural of
>> the neuter noun DOMA and means "gifts". Brenton (according to BibleWorks)
>> translates it as "dwellings" and is supported in this by a commentary on
>> Malachi by D. L. Petersen. I see the similarity between the words DOMA and
>> DOMOS, but is it possible to understand DOMATA as a form of DOMOS?

>There is a correction suggested to read DWMATA (with omega). That would
>translate as dwellings.
>Anyway - 'gifts of the desert' does not make much sense here, as 'dwellings
of
>the desert' does. So I do understand the argument for the correction. The
hebrew
>has something else: jackals of the desert.

I think that, no matter how you understand it, the form found in the LXX
cannot be correct from the standpoint of the lexica and grammars. As was
indicated above, there is a form with an omega. LSJ also lists DOMOS. The
problem here is that it would not have the form DOMATA. Either DOMOS OR DWMA
has the meaning "house." There does seem to be a nuance, however, which
would lead me to choose DOMOS. DOMOS has a usage as "sheep-fold", etc. This
would seem to agree with the context of Mal 1.3.

gfsomsel