[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: PT Lumber
From: jim.mcnelly@gcbb.granite.mn.org (Jim Mcnelly)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 00:40:00 +0600

This message was originally addressed to Karen Ann Woodfork
and a carbon copy was sent to you.
Karen wrote;

   >I don't need to be convinced not to put arsenic in my back yard,
   >but I was wondering if you could give me the references for those
   >facts and figures you gave about the hazards of PT sawdust and
   >the eventual disposal problems of PT wood.

My source(s) include the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency Hazardous
Waste Section, the tests of the Benton County Solid Waste District
(Foley Minnesota), and independent laboratory analysis conducted under
the supervision of the MNPCA.  I have also provided several samples to
independent laboratories on my own and have confirmed the arsenic and
lead levels.  The 21 dead cows were verified by the State Veterinarian,
actually ordered to be destroyed by him due to the diagnosis of arsenic
poisoning and arsenic in the milk.

The cases of humans overcome by arsenic smoke I have from conducting
an electronic search of various national newspapers for the word
"arsenic".  You can imagine sifting through the reports on the reported
poisoning of President Zachary Taylor and reviews of various
presentations of the play, "Arsenic and old Lace".

The EPA standards on arsenic levels in compost and sludge are from the
EPA 503 sludge rules (11 PPM vs 3000 PPM in PTwood) which are published
in the Federal Register and available from your regional EPA office.
The toxicity reactions of arsenic, symptoms, and treatment are from any
good medical encyclopedia, my copy from toxicity reference documents
used at the Mayo Clinic here in Minnesota.

You can also find a copy of "Arsenic, Chromium, and Copper Poisoning
form Burning Treated Wood" in "The New England Journal of Medicine" June
2, 1983 which reports the effects of arsenic poisoning in a family
exposed to burning arsenic (treated) wood in the fireplace. According to
the three doctors at the University of Wisconsin, the family had
"symptoms of conjunctivitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, sensory
hyperesthesia of the arms and legs, muscle cramps, dermatitis of over
the arms and legs and soles of the feet, nosebleeds, ear infections,
blackouts and seizures, gastrointestinal disturbances, and severe
alopecia."

"Investigation revealed the presence of high amounts of arsenic in the
hair of the parents (12 to 87 PPM; normal less than .65) levels in the
fingernails 100 to 5,000 ppm; normal .9)  Samples of dust in the home
revealed levels of arsenic up to 2,000 ppm."

You can look at an article called "The Phone Poles that Will Not Die"
from "MSW Management" Nov/Dec 1992.  Check also "Env Pollution" 14.213
26 by C. Grant and A.J. Dobbs "The growth and metal content of plants
grown in soil contaminated by a copper chromium arsenic wood
preservative".  I also have references (Woodson 1971, Chisolm 1972, Hess
and Blanchar 1977) that arsenic at 2500 PPM is a complete soil sterilant
and that sensitive plants show phytotoxicity  from 1 PPM to 50 PPM if the
arsenic is in an extractable form.

Arsenic reacts with plants being substituted for phosphorous (Asher and
Reay 1979) and its effects can be limited by supplemental applications
of phosphate.

I would like to try to
   >convince someone not to use any more of the stuff for picnic
   >tables and the like and I need cold hard facts!

I believe that it is nearly impossible to convince people of the
biohazard of treated lumber, which is the major reason why I am calling
for its removal from public use.  They seem to refuse to believe that
the words "treated" or "pressure" means arsenic, or believe that arsenic
is indeed a poison.  People simply want to believe that since the
product is at the lumber yard, it is the same as regular lumber.  One
neighbor I tried to keep from burning scraps insisted that the wood was
"salted" and that salt was "OK".

KAW>I had always been concerned about the problem of leaching because
   >of the O.G. articles, but now I am more concerned about the vast
   >quantities of this stuff being used for non-gardening structures
   >-
   >(kids jungle-gyms, decks, etc.) .... I need to convince my
   >neighbor not to put the scraps in the "burn pile" -

There is an architect named Cameron Duncan who has led a "one man" fight
against treated lumber in school play equipment.  He has been
intimidated, threatened, slandered, and has had lost business as a
result of his efforts.  There has been virtually no support for his
efforts aside from the National Coalition against the Misuse of
Pesticides, which will provide information at a fee. Their number is
202-543-5450.

 KAW>Your help is greatly appreciated! >-Karen

I am taking the liberty of posting this note on the public conference.

Mr Compost~~~

Jim McNelly~~~
Granite Information Service 612-654-8372-HST 656-0678 v.32bis
jim.mcnelly@granite.mn.org
---
 * January 24th - I may not act wisely, but at least I act.

cc: ALL