forage varieties

September 6, 1995

Dear Collegues:

I am looking for recommendations for forage varieties which will
perform in an established woodland.

I intend to do a basic screening of cool season forages in a
mature silvo-pastoral agroforest. The site has been thinned and
pruned. I hope to establish and evaluate forages which may be used by
landowners interested in grazing (primarily sheep) in a managed
woodland (agroforest).

The forage varieties will need to perform:
1. In somewhat lower than normal light.
2. Compete with established (big) trees for moisture.
3. Germinate and thrive under rough seedbed conditions.
4. Be agreeable to living under western Oregon conditions (40 inches
of rainfall; rainy winters; droughty summers; sharply increasing
human population; etc.)

Space and money are in short supply, so I won't be getting too fancy.
Any guidance you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Garry Stephenson

OSU Extension, Linn County
Garry Stephenson