Re: Soil Compaction in Pasture

On Thu, 14 Sep 1995, Phil Rzewnicki wrote:

> I recently discovered that some of my Extension clientele may be resistant to
> the concept of rotational grazing because of a belief in severe soil compaction
> by dairy cows. Is there information available which addresses soil compaction
> under animal hooves on grass sod? My tendency is to assume that a well formed
> pasture stand is resilient to animal traffic under a controlled grazing
> situation.

Phil,
	If you can stand observation and opinion here are a couple
thoughts. Continuously (over) grazed pastures probably do have a great
deal of surface compaction and will take several years under mgt. int.
grazing for the sod to improve sufficiently to correct the surface
compaction. Under good management the pastures will essentially get better
every year.
	New seedings and hay fields be converted to pasture will likely go
through the same process. The first couple of years will have surface
compaction (which may or may not be a problem) until a dense sod forms.
The shorter the residence time on a paddock the less compaction...
	I am converting abandoned grass fields (thin sod) and hay fields
to MIG. Even this year (exceptionally dry) I observe substantial surface
compaction. Runoff from rain showers is fairly high. It doesn't bother me
as I know each year will get better.
	My opinion is that both the farmers and you are correct in your
thoughts. I do question saying compaction would be "severe" even in the
first year or two.
	I have done some previous research work (hay land, not pastures) with
the AER-WAY aerator. If surface compaction is a concern the aerator should
be quite good at correcting it (have seen 20%+ yield increases on
alfalfa/grass). I am not so certain that there would be a continued need
or benefit once your good sod had formed.
	If your producers have limited land available for pasture their
concerns may be very valid. It's hard to shift high value and high yield
potential land to pasture if its performance won't be ideal for several
seasons. This has rarely been a problem in New York. We usually have
plenty of acres per cow available.

Best Regards,
Nate Leonard
Cornell Cooperative Extension