Re: Seed viability

On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Miller Sean wrote:

> A question on the likely viability of seed that has been ensiled - while
> most seed that does make its way into silage would not be mature, does
> anyone have any info on whether mature seed that has found its way into
> silage (through one means or another) does remain viable? In the case of
> noxious weeds, what therefore is the likely implication for seed dispersal?
>
> Sean Miller
> Agriculture Western Australia
> Box 1231, Bunbury, WA. Aus. 6231
> seanm@agby1.agric.wa.gov.au

I have personal experience with common lambsquarters coming through corn
silage quite well, but much of that could have been from seed germinating
on the top few inches of an uncovered bunker silo.  Tildesly did work on
this in 1934, evaluated broadleaf weeds and grasses.  He found that all
the weeds he reported (at least those listed in the table I have)
did not germinate after 4 weeks in the silo. Among the weeds were agropyron
repens , setaria lutenscens,chenopodium album, and brassica arvensis.