Re: deer in the alfalfa again...

>What research or tricks are you aware of which may impact the
>terrific deer damage problem we have here in SW PA?  We have
>experienced some real difficulties int he past years as numbers of
>deer increase and numbers of hunters decline.  Those farmers growing
>alfalfa have all but thrown in the towel, ceding the day to the deer.
>
>Anything which may work, with particular reference to fences, will
>help.  I will share my own year's experiments with anyone interested.
>Thank you in advance.
>
>Gary Winn

Gary -
I haven't tried this, but a Division of Wildlife (Ohio) officer told me
about a "peanut butter fence" for deer control. I'm not sure of the spacing
for electric wires, but the important part is to bait the fence with strips
of aluminum foil covered with peanut butter. The shiny, fluttering foil
attracts the deer, who smell the peanut butter, taste it or touch it with
their nose, and get zapped in a very tender place. They say the deer will
avoid the fence after that -- even the smell of the fence will send them in
another direction. You may try your local Wildlife Office for details, or
call Ohio's at (216) 644-2293.  Good Luck!

Suzi Rubin (srubin@erinet.com)