Perserving silage

I am looking for information concerning ways to perserve siliages,
specificly corn silage.

In messages from last month, people mentioned adding propionic acid of
sodium propionate.  What exactly do these do? Do they affect fermentation,
milk production or nutrient value?

I am also interested in the affects of propionic, acetic, lactic acids on
perservation.

An idea I had is the effect of carbon dioxide on the rotting process.  Just
like carbonated items are perserved.  One way of producing this carbon
dioxide may be the levels of sugars in the corn:

C6H12O6 + 6(02)    ------>      6(CO2)   +  6(H2O)
glucose     and  oxygen   produces carbon dioxide and water

Has anyone done research or has heard of studies done on this type of
perservation?  Will it work?  How does it affect milk production?  Does
anyone have other ideas to perserve silages?  Any comments, advise, and
information would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Waddell
Stratford, Ontario, Canada