Re: Horse Manure - advice needed

In article <5m0chr$shg@news.doit.wisc.edu>, Steven
<slberlt@students.wisc.edu> writes

>According to my limited knowledge of manure and agricultural education,
>horse manure has the smallest amount of nitrogen due to the diet.  Most
>people raising horses don't want a fat horse and therefore limit the
>amount of corn (high in nitrogen) in their diet.  My high school ag
>instructor rated manure from varous sources in this order: chicken
>(very in nitrogen..manure will burn plants), cow/cattle, sheep, and
>finally horse manure.  The diets of these animals dictate the amount of
>nitrogen and other substances.

In decreasing nitrogen (and most other nutrient) levels:
[For a straw base bedding, not slurry].

Poultry
Pig
Cow
Sheep
Horse.

I understand that feeds high in protein are rather bad for horses,
causes the usual host of nasty equine diseases and they tend to be
bedded with ample straw. Sheep are worth so little they tend to get the
cheapest feed going. Cows and (finishing) beef animals get quite a lot
(15-20% CP in the diet), pigs even more and poultry, well.

Certainly it is wise to compost any muck for a couple of months after it
is removed from the shed. The muck is often very anaerobic in the shed
due to the urine and the weight of cattle above it. Consequently it
pongs mightily of ammonia and H2S. Often just restacking it is enough to
let the air get through it and it will heat up due to explosive aerobic
bacterial growth, temperatures over 40C have been recorded if the heap
is of decent size. Ammonia is converted to nitrates, and H2S to
sulphates (both odour-free). You will then be left with a friable
relatively odour-free manure ready for digging in.

Or, of course, you could buy a bag of fertiliser ......

--
'Oz     "Is it better to seem ignorant and learn,
         - or seem wise and stay ignorant?"