Re: evolution of corn

In article <msachs-0806971411520001@marty1.agn.uiuc.edu>,
msachs@uiuc.edu (Marty Sachs) wrote:

> I personally do not find the 'evidence' for a pre-Columbian introduction
> of maize to the 'old-world' compelling.

Strictly from the viewpoint of a farmer, Kuchinsky is an idiot.  If you
accept his claims of corn in India, you have to assume that European
traders were stupid enough to ignore seed corn as a trade item.  Since
they freely traded and experimented with EVERY OTHER Asian crop, this is
a remarkable omission.

The Portugese even brought back silkworms, and the mulberry bushes to feed
them.  Ag was big business in the 15th century.  A bag of seeds could
make an entire family fortune.

-- Larry