From: bae@gpu.utcc.utoronto.ca (Beverly Erlebacher)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: Books on stem cuttings and propagation ?
Date: 22 Sep 93 17:42:01 GMT

In article <Leath.43.000DB50E@cs.upei.ca>,
Stephen James Leath <Leath@cs.upei.ca> wrote:
>Does anyone know of a good reference book on propagation by stem cuttings ?
>When to collect  cuttings for different plants, shrubs and trees and what sort
>of medium ,temp, hormone  etc..

One of the most complete references is
	Plant propagation : principles and practices / Hudson
	T. Hartmann, Dale E. Kester, Fred T. Davies, Jr.
	5th ed. Prentice Hall, c1990

This is a big, expensive textbook that may be available in university libraries.
It is technical, and oriented toward commercial production.

Another book that may well be in your public library is 'Plants-a-Plenty'
by Catherine Osgoode Foster.  (Rodale Press, I think.)  It is oriented more
toward the small scale or home hobbyist, but has a remarkable amount of info
on various plants in it.

There is also a standard reference called something like 'Manual of Woody
Plants' or something similar, I haven't seen it personally, but it is said
to be what professional horticulturalists use.

There are many other books on propagation.  Before you buy one, have a look
through what is available in your public and/or university library.  You may
well find a book that meets your needs better than the above.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada