[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Humus

> This is a very interesting debate.  In thinking about and discussing soil
> quality, organic matter is usually mentioned within the research circles.
> And discussion is ongoing as to which portion of the soil organic matter
> reactes (changes up or down) in a grant oriented reseach time scale.  That
> which seems to be lacking in the discusion is the role of microbes.
> Including the types of microbes and how to foster there existence.

Siegfried Luebke is a microbiologist and much of their
work is based on the role of microbes in soils.  They've
released a video titled "Microbial Life in the Soil"
that includes incredible micro-photography of the
clay-humus crumb.  One analogy is that of a beautiful cave-like
structure with "lots" of surface area due to the undulations on
the stalagmites.

[Incidentally, the WSAA in asssociation with MOA released a video
titled "Life in the Soil" that has a similar focus; i.e., poorly
managed soils and healthy soils compared via micro-photography].

In related work, the Luebkes prepared microscopic slides dyed with
acrodyne orange and flouresced under UV light to show the presence
of microbes in soils and composts managed appropriately.

The chroma test and buffered pH test are other indicators of
microbial activity.

> I find
> it amazing the the Luebkes were able to increase there organic matter
> levels 13% over only 10 years.  If I have understood the claims, this
> was accomplished on a farm scale, using that carbon which available
> specifically from the Luebke farm.  I guess I am asking if the Luebkes
> needed to import Carbon from other sources?

The Luebkes run an organic dairy sheep and vegetable farm.
Their forage-based rotation (alfalfa-grass mix) is important for
both the sheep (which provide animal manure to compost),
and as a source of green chop for use in compost.  The third compost
ingredient needed is either farm-produced straw, or
alternatively, municipal yard waste like wood chips and tree trimmings.
This municipal yard waste is highly valued by compost-making
farmers in Europe.

> Which gets into further debate
> as to whether enough carbon exists within the current system to allow all
> of agriculture to increase the OM to healthy levels, 5% or so.

It is my impression the microbial inoculants play a
major role in building the %O.M. and humus levels to these
levels.  Dr. Ehrenfried Pfeiffer was instrumental in introducing the
practice of microbially inoculating green manures at
plowdown.  The B.D. Field Starter he devised (and is still available
through The Pfeiffer Foundation in New York) contained 55
different types of microbes.  The Luebkes have since modified the
original recipe, which they initially obtained years ago.
Instead of a standard 3-4 week green manure waiting period, the
Luebkes are planting back into digested residues within a few days.

Does this have implications for grain farming in regions
where leguminous green manures are frowned upon becasue they put
on N too late in the spring and therefore corn planting is
delayed beyond the preferred soil moisture period as a
result of lag time for green manure breakdown?

> The
> Thompsons from Iowa have made arrangments with the local village to use the
> carbon, in the form of organic waste, as a cost effective amendment to
> their soil.  Would all farmers need to compete for these contracts, or
> could the carbon be produced on-farm.
> --
>               Thomas Hansmeyer
>               St. Paul MN
>               hansm001@maroon.tc.umn.edu

Veganic compost comes to mind as one solution.  First, put
up a stock of hay or straw.  Next growing season, make green
chop from a pasture or cover crop and then build a compost pile
using chopped, stored dry fodder.  A small amount of soil or
finished compost would be an important amendment.
Veganic compost was described by Daziel O'Brien in "Intensive
Gardening."

Animal manures, on the other hand, seem to be a vital
component of good quality compost, however, so without
first-hand experience or research, I wonder how veganic
compost would compare.

Good questions!  Perhaps each day we sprout a new bud or
fill out a finely-divided leafy branch on the "Sanet Sustainable
Agriculture Learning Tree"

Steve Diver
Fayetteville, AR

       ALTERNATIVE FARMING SYSTEMS INFORMATION CENTER
                  LIST OF INFORMATION PRODUCTS

QUICK BIBLIOGRAPHIES:

The bibliographies in the Quick Bibliography series are produced
from edited computerized searches of the AGRICOLA database on
topics that have proven to be of particular interest to our
audience.  Budget limitations now restrict the numbers of copies
available.

QB 92-24: Air Pollution Effects on Crops and Forests, J. Gates,
February 1992, 101 p.

QB 94-56: Allelopathy: The Effects of Chemicals Produced by Plants,
H. Gilbert, September 1994, 50 p.

QB 93-53: Alternative Crops, K. Schneider, August 1993, 34 p.

QB 93-30: Beekeeping in the United States, C. Kopolow, May
1993,37p.

QB 94-13: Conservation Tillage, J. Gates, March 1994, 91 p.

QB 94-52: Cultural and Mechanical Weed Control, M. Gold, August
1994, 63 p.

QB 94-51: Double Cropping and Interplanting, M. Gold, August 1994,
111 p.
QB 92-16: Earthworms in Agriculture, J. Rafats, January 1992, 46 p.

QB 93-66: Evaluation of Best Management Practices, B. Emmert & J.
Makuch, September 1993, 44 p.

QB 94-54: Farming in Arid and Semiarid Lands, C. A. Singer,
September 1994, 60 p.

QB 93-57: Farmland Preservation, J. Gates, August 1993, 38 p.

QB 93-04: Forage Legumes, J. MacLean, November 1992, 67 p.

QB 93-68: Green Manures and Cover Crops, J. Gates, September 1993,
71 p.

QB 90-62: Groundwater Contamination, H. Gilbert, June 1990, 32 p.

QB 94-60: Herbicide Tolerance/Resistance in Plants, R Dobert,
September 1994, 113 p.

QB 94-55: Hydroponics - Nutrient Film Techniques, H. Gilbert,
September 1994, 54 p.

QB 93-69: IPM and Biological Control of Plant Pests: Field Crops,
J. Gates, September 1993, 83 p.

QB 94-12: IPM and Biological Control of Plant Pests: Horticultural
Crops, J. Gates, March 1994, 76 p.

QB 94-35: Irrigating Efficently, J. Makuch and B. Emmert, June
1994, 62 p.

QB 94-38: Legumes in Crop Rotations, M. Gold, June 1994, 121 p.

QB 90-44: Medicinal Botany and Herbal Medicine, J. Gates, April
1990, 35 p.

QB 93-64: Part-time Farming, Small Farms and Farming in the United
States, M. Gold, September 1993, 59 p.

QB 93-25: Paulownia: Potential Tree Crop, E. Brownlee, April
1993,18p.

QB 91-45: Potential New Crop: Crambe, J. Rafats, February 1991,19p.

QB 91-44: Potential New Crop: Guayule, J. Rafats, February
1991,29p.

QB 92-54: Potential New Crop: Kenaf, Commercial Fiber and Pulp
Source, J. Rafats, July 1992, 38 p.

QB 93-32: Riparian Zones and Filter Strips in Agricultural
Operations, J. Makuch, May 1993, 40 p.

QB 93-50: Rotational Grazing and Intensive Pasture Management, J.
Gates, August 1993, 39 p.

QB 93-01: Societal Impacts of Adoption of Alternative Agricultural
Practices, J. MacLean, October 1992, 54 p.

QB 93-54: Soil Testing and Plant Analysis for Fertilizer
Recommendations, K. Schneider, July 1993, 50 p.

QB 93-33: Solar Energy Alternatives for Agriculture, S. Chapman,
May 1993, 64 p.

QB 93-03: Sustainable or Alternative Agriculture, J. Gates,
November 1992, 84 p.

QB 91-146: Use of Computers for Farm Management, J. Gates,
September 1991, 30 p.

QB 93-55: Wastewater Irrigation, K. Schneider, July 1993, 54 p.

QB 91-145: Water Quality Implications of Conservation Tillage, J.
Dombrowski, September 1991, 31 p.

QB 93-28: Wind Energy for Agriculture, S. Chapman, April 1993, 32p.

OTHER SERIES:

These information products, including Special Reference Briefs and
Agri-Topics, have been researched and produced to meet special
needs of our clientele.  One copy of each title requested is
provided at no charge.

AFSIC Notes No. 1: Adopting Sustainable Alternatives, C. Tant, J.
Gates, J. MacLean, 1991, 4 p.

AFSIC Notes No. 2: Agriculture and the Environment, J. Gates, J.
MacLean, March 1992, 7 p.

AFSIC Notes No. 3: Integrated Pest Management-Biological Control:
Natural Enemies, J. Gates, March 1992, 3 p.

AT 93-02: Community Supported Agriculture (CSA): An Annotated
Bibliography and Resource Guide, S. DeMuth, September 1993, 10 p.

SRB 92-08: Economic Comparisons of Biological and Chemical Pest
Control Methods: An Annotated Bibliography, K. Norris, R. Cook, J.
MacLean, March 192, 21 p.

SRB 94- 13: Biotechnology and Sustainable Agriculture: A
Bibliography, K. Guenther, September 1994, 32 p.

SRB 92-08: Economic Comparisons of Biological and Chemical Pest
Control Methods: An Annotated Bibliography, K. Norris, R. Cook, J.
MacLean, March 1992, 21 p.

SRB 93-01: Resource Guide to Growing and Using Herbs, S. DeMuth and
AFSIC Staff, November 1992, 15 p.

SRB 94-05: Sustainable Agriculture: Definitions and Terms, M. Gold,
May 1994, 10 p.

SRB 94-06: Sustainable Agriculture in Print: Current Books, AFSIC
Staff & Volunteer, May 1994, 30 p. Note: Includes Supplement
Updates, 11/93, 1/94).

SRB 92-14: Videocassettes in the NAL Collection Pertaining to
Alternative Farming Systems, R. Stevens & AFSIC Staff, August 1992,
24 p. (Supplement Update, 2/94).

UNNUMBERED PUBLICATIONS:

Basics of Searching AGRICOLA on SilverPlatter CD-ROM, D.
Richardson, August 1993, 50 p.

Calendar of Events Related to Sustainable Agriculture, G. Hegyes,
updated monthly

Educational and Training Opportunities in Sustainable Agriculture,
J. Gates, December 1993, 31 p., 6th ed. 49 p.

Horticultural Journals Currently Received at the National
Agricultural Library, S. DeMuth, April 1993, 49 p.

Periodicals Pertaining to Alternative Farming Systems, AFSIC Staff,
February 1993, 21 p.

Tracing the Evolution of Organic/Sustainable Agriculture : A
Selected and Annotated Bibliography, J. Gates, November 1988, 20 p.

Information flyer about the AFSIC series of videotaped oral history
interviews with leaders in sustainable agriculture.

ORDERS MAY BE MADE BY E-MAIL, TELEPHONE, FAX OR SURFACE MAIL
(please include self addressed mailing labels whenever possible--
one label for each 4 publications; do not send stamps or stamped
envelopes)

        ALTERNATIVE FARMING SYSTEMS INFORMATION CENTER
          National Agricultural Library, Rm 304
               10301 Baltimore Blvd.
               Beltsville MD 20705-2351

          phone: (301)504-6559, fax: (301)504-6409,
          e-mail: afsic@nalusda.gov

                                                            11/94

SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE IN PRINT:   CURRENT BOOKS

Introduction
Prepared by the Alternative Farming Systems Information Center
(AFSIC), this publication provides a list of recently published
books pertaining to sustainable agriculture.  Each title was
reviewed by Michael Cassady, an AFSIC volunteer.  Additional
titles, going back to 1989, may be found in the 1992 and 1993
editions of this series (SRB 92-15 and SRB 93-04).
This series combines with our earlier publication, Tracing the
Evolution of Organic/Sustainable Agriculture: A Selected and
Annotated Bibliography (BLA 72), to provide bibliographic coverage
on sustainable agriculture literature from 1580 to 1994.
For additional reference sources on the many issues and techniques
involved in sustainable agriculture, you may request AFSIC'S "List
of Information Products."  For a copy of the list, or for answers
to questions, please contact:

               Alternative Farming Systems Information Center
               National Agricultural Library, Room 304
               10301 Baltimore Blvd.
               Beltsville, MD 20705-2351

               Telephone: (301) 504-5724
               FAX: (301) 504-6409
               Internet: nalafsic@nalusda.gov

                                   Jane Potter Gates, Coordinator

Title: Agricultural Policy and Sustainability:  Case Studies from
India, Chile, the Philippines and the United States
Editor: Faeth, Paul
Publisher: Washington, DC: World Resources Institute, 1993.  113 p.
NAL Number: S494.5.S86A37 1993
Annotation: Maintains that conventional economic analysis obscures
or miscalculates the degradation of the natural resource base that
supports agriculture and contributes to policies that damage this
resource base.  Explores how such policies influence farmers'
choices.  Suggests natural resource accounting methods that provide
a better comparison between farm policies and sustainability.
Offers several recommendations in the areas studied - - rice and
wheat production in India, wheat farming in Chile, pesticides and
rice production in the Philippines.  Considers U.S. farm policy
biased against resource conserving production systems.  Analyzes
alternatives to corn and soybean production in Pennsylvania and
Nebraska.
Inquiries may be made to World Resources Institute, 1709 New York
Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20006.

Title: Agricultural Productivity, Sustainability, and Fertilizer
Use