From: dmiller@theory.lcs.mit.edu (Dick and Jill Miller)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: Bat House
Date: 12 Jan 1994 21:38:51 GMT

In article: <1994Jan12.053833.106389@zeus.aix.calpoly.edu>
    dlord@cymbal.aix.calpoly.edu (D.Lord) asked:
>I've been following the BAT thread with interest, especially the post
>from Maryland about dimensions.
>But, does it work?  I would like to know if any bats actually live in
>these houses before I invest the time and energy constructing one.
>Anyone else had positive experience with a BAT house?
>I read somewhere that you should install the house on the EAST side of
>the residence, at least 25 feet above the ground.  Any wisdom would bew
>appreciated.

I've had a bat house for several years and no bats.  HOWEVER, I recently
learned that my homemade house is not well designed and in the wrong
location.  The best book I've seen on the subject is "America's
Neighborhood Bats", by Merlin D. Tuttle, Univ. of Texas Press, 1988, ISBN
0-292-70403-8 or 0-292-70406-2 (I suppose one is paperback, one
hardcover).  One hint I've gotten recently is that bats find roosts by
the smell of bat guano, therefore one should spray/smear some guano on a
new house to make it more attractive to bats.  Now all I need is a source
of bat guano! :')

--Jill

Contact below (NOT at theory.lcs.mit.edu):
--
A. Richard & Jill A. Miller            | MILLER MICROCOMPUTER SERVICES |
InterNet: dmiller@im.lcs.mit.edu       | 61 Lake Shore Road            |

Article 1571 of alt.folklore.herbs: