[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Free Range Chickens

One exempary operation involving a system of movable cage "free range"
chickens is that of Joel Salatin in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.
These birds are contained in open-bottomed cages which are moved daily
across pasture fields.  The birds are sold in advance to subscription
customers, killed and cleaned in an on-farm facility, and picked up on the
day of slaughter by the customer. The quality of the meat from birds who
have lived outdoors, eaten fresh forage daily and had the opportunity to
have sunshine, fresh air, and exercise is phenomenal.  It is not comparable
to factory-raised meat at all.

Joel has produced a manual entitled "Pastured Poultry Manual" is available
for $15.  This manual describes the process as well as the enterprise
budgets.  He has also developed a video on his technique.  Contact Joel
Salatin 703 885-3590, Rt. 1 Box 281 Swoope, VA 24479.
John M. Luna
Department of Horticulture
4143 Agriculture & Life Sciences Bldg.
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331
503-737-5430   FAX  503 737-3479
E-mail LUNAJ@bcc.orst.edu

].i..]"keeping-qualities-of-unwashed-eggsArticle 617 of alt.agriculture.misc: