[Fwd: Re: kombucha]

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
mailto:london@sunSITE.unc.edu
http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden

-- BEGIN included message

In article <33529E71.F9E@virgin.net>, Jamie <mike.jamie@virgin.net>
writes:

>Anyone with information about kombucha mushroom tea and its use in
>people with HIV, particularly in relation  to use with Combination
>Therapy, please E-mail me either here or at cardiff body Positive

In general, kombucha tea is not advised for persons with AIDS or HIV+. Due
to the process of making kombucha (it's a fermented yeast, not a
mushroom), contamination can occur, either molds or bacteria, which can
cause severe problems for someone with a compromised immune system.
Christopher Hobbs' book on medicinal mushrooms does a fairly good job of
running through the possible benefits of kombucha, as well as what studies
have been done.  He also gives a very safe procedure for fermentation, and
talks about the signs of contamination.

Regards,
Rosemary, Healing Pages Bookstore, Seattle, WA
e-mail: healingpgs@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/healingpgs/index.htm

-- END included message