[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Companion plants

To all:

You requested whatever info I got from the posting about companion plants.
They are included here with a few notes.  University-type research
information is lacking for this topic -- a gap to be filled?  Complicating
the matter is that "companion planting" comprises different interactions,
including insect repelling, insect attracting, soil chemistry, and more.
Most of this work centers on insects.

Thanks to everyone who sent info.

William E. Chaney.  "Biological Control of Aphids in Lettuce Using In-Field
Insectaries."  in C.H. Pickett and R.L. Bugg, eds.  _Enhancing Biological
Control: Habitat Management to Promote Natural Enemies of Agricultural
Pests_.  agAccess: Davis, CA, 1996 (NOT YET IN PRINT).
Sweet alyssum was the most successful of several plants tested as hosts of
beneficial insects.  "The field trial did successfully demonstrate that the
population of beneficial insects could be increased near the insectary
planting and that the aphid population cold be reduced.  The distance over
which this effect was seen appears to be in the order of 50 feet or so, one
direction from the insectary area."

Dennis Collins.  "Insect Repellent Herbs."  The Herb Quarterly, issue #26.

Louise Riotte.  _Carrots Love Tomatoes_.

Louise Riotte.  _Roses Love Garlic_.

Helen Philbrick and Richard Gregg.  _Companion Plants and How to Use Them_.
Devin Adair, pub., 1966.

Gertrude Franck.  _Companion Planting: Successful Gardening Organically_.

>The following book and journal citations were retrieved from the
>database AGRICOLA using an individualized search strategy.
>
>AGRICOLA usage is subject to the terms and conditions of the
>subscription and license agreement and the applicable copyright and
>intellectual property protection as dictated by the appropriate
>laws of your country and/or by International Convention.
>
> No.    Records    Request
>   1        439    COMPANION
>   2      72422    PLANT*
>   3      24861    CROP*
>   4         70    MPANION near (PLANT* or CROP*)
>   5        182    NURSE
>   6      24861    CROP*
>   7          5    NURSE CROP*
>   8       1798    TRAP*
>   9      24861    CROP*
>  10         31    TRAP* CROP*
>  11        103    #4 or #7 or #10
>  12         85    (#11 in TI) or (#11 in DE) or (#11 in ID)
>  13      17473    CALIF*
>  14      12951    CA
>  15      24963    CALIF* or CA
>* 16          8    #12 and #15
>
>Record 1 of 8 - Agricola 1/92-9/95
>AU:  Engle,-M.
>TI:  Specialty fruit irrigation.
>SO:  Calif-Grow. Carpinteria, Calif. : Rincon Information Management
Corporation. Dec
>1992. v. 16 (12) p. 36.
>CN:  DNAL SB379.A9A9
>LA:  English
>DE:  tropical-fruits. irrigation-. water-requirements. drought-resistance.
>companion-crops. cost-benefit-analysis. california-.
-----
>Record 2 of 8 - Agricola 1/92-9/95
>AU:  Gardner,-J.; Caswell-Chen,-E.P.
>TI:  Penetration, development, and reproduction of Heterodera schactii on
Fagopyrum
>esculentum, Phacelia tanacetifolia, Raphanus sativus, Sinapis alba, and
Brassica
>oleracea.
>SO:  J-nematol. Lakeland, Fla. : Society of Nematologists. Dec 1993. v. 25
(4) p.
>695-702.
>CN:  DNAL QL391.N4J62
>LA:  English
>DE:  fagopyrum-esculentum. phacelia-tanacetifolia. raphanus-sativus.
sinapis-alba.
>brassica-oleracea. heterodera-schachtii. biological-development. reproduction-.
>penetration-. trap-crops. california-.
>AB:  The penetration, development, and reproduction of a California
population of the
>sugarbeet cyst   nematode, Heterodera schachtii, was observed on cultivars
of cabbage
>(Brassica oleracea), phacelia   (Phacelia tanacetifolia), buckwheat (Fagopyrum
>esculentum), oilseed radish (Raphanus sativus), and   white mustard
(Sinapis alba).
>With the exception of the nonhost, phacelia, all were readily  penetrated by
>second-stage juveniles of H. schachtii. After 38 days at 25 C, no cysts
were observed
>on phacelia cv. Angelia or on the oilseed radish cv. Nemex and Pegletta.  Cyst
>production was low   (< 2.5 cysts/plant) on the buckwheat cv. Tardo and
Prego and most
>of the oilseed radish cultivars.    Cyst production was intermediate (5-14
>cysts/plant) on most of the white mustard cultivars, and  igh on cabbage
(20-110
>cysts/plant).  In microplot studies conducted over 133 days (approx. 450
>degree-days, base 8 C), the reproductive index for H. schachtii was greater
than 1.0
>for cultivars   of phacelia, oilseed radish, and white mustard as well as
in fallow
>treatments, indicating the   need for further research on the use of these
crops under
>field conditions.

-----
>Record 3 of 8 - Agricola 1/92-9/95
>AU:  Godfrey,-L.D.; Leigh,-T.F.
>I:  Alfalfa harvest strategy effect on lgus bug (Hemiptera: Miridae) and
insect
>predator population density: implications for use as trap crop in cotton.
>SO:  Environ-entomol. Lanham, Md. : Entomological Society of America. Oct
1994. v. 23
>(5) p. 1106-1118.
>CN:  DNAL QL461.E532
>LA:  English
>DE:  gossypium-hirsutum. medicago-sativa. trap-crops. intercropping-.
harvesting-.
>lygus-hesperus. beneficial-insects. population-density.
developmental-stages. ova-.
>nymphs-. biological-control. insect-control. california-.
>AB:  Lygus bug, Lygus hesperus Knight, and beneficial insect populations
(Orius sp.,
>Geocons spp., and Nabis spp.) were quantified in alfalfa strips, which were
>interplanted within cotton fields. The propensity of alfalfa strips to
retain lygus
>bugs, thereby keeping them out of cotton, and the utility of alfalfa strips
as a
>reservoir for beneficial insects were evaluated from May to August in 1990
and 1991.
>The following three alfalfa cutting strategies were examined: (1) uncut
alfalfa, (2) a
>28-d strip-cut treatment, and (3) a 35-d strip-cut treatment. Insect
populations were
>quantified in both the newer alfalfa growth and the older alfalfa growth of the
>strip-cut treatments. Lygus bug densities were significantly higher in the
uncut
>treatment than in the other treatments, peaking at 520 per 1.9 m2 in 1990
and 350 per
>1.9 m2 in 1991. Lygus bug levels in the strip-cut treatments were low in
the newer
>alfalfa growth (averaging 41.8 per 1.9 m2) and only slightly higher in the
older
>alfalfa growth of the 28-d strip-cut treatment (averaging 65.3 per 1.9 m2).
>Populations were relatively constant within these three treatments
throughout the
>season. However, in the older growth of the 35-d cutting regime, Lygus bug
populations
>averaged 103 per 1.9 m2. Densities of beneficial insects were also higher
in the uncut
>than the strip-cut treatments, but the higher predator densities apparently
did not
>offset the high Lygus bug population increase. The uncut treatment also
lacked Lygus
>bug egg and nymphal mortality from the alfalfa cutting as compared with the
strip-cut
>treatments. The less frequent cutting, in the 35-d compared with the 28-d
treatment,
>probably also allowed for a buildup of the Lygus bug.
>      population. Lygus bug instar distribution, sex, and predator species
were also
>examined in these treatments. It appears that to optimize Lygus bug
management, while
>still producing high densities of predacious insects, strip-cut alfalfa
should be used
>and cut on a 28-d schedule.
-----
>Record 4 of 8 - Agricola 1/92-9/95
>AU:  House,-G.J.; Stinner,-B.R.
>TI:  Agriculture and ecosystems.
>SO:  Global perspectives on agroecology and sustainable agricultural systems
>proceedings of the sixth international scientific conference of the
International
>Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements. Santa Cruz, CA : Agroecology
Program,
>University of California, c1988.. p. 345-354a.
>CN:  DNAL S605.5.I45-1986
>LA:  English
>DE:  farming-systems. ecosystems-. resource-management.
agricultural-production.
>energy-. cycling-. nutrients-. boundaries-. models-. alternative-farming.
>conservation-tillage. no-tillage-. multiple-cropping. legumes-.
companion-crops.
>agricultural-trade. commodity-markets. sustainability-.
environmental-degradation.
>usa-.
-----
>Record 5 of 8 - Agricola 1/92-9/95
>AU:  Kloen,-H.; Altieri,-M.A.
>TI:  Effect of mustard (Brassica hirta) as a non-crop plant on competition
and insect
>pests in broccoli (Brassica oleracea).
>SO:  Crop-Prot. Oxford : Butterworths-Heinemann Ltd. Apr 1990. v. 9 (2) p.
90-96.
>CN:  DNAL SB599.C8
>LA:  English
>DE:  brassica-oleracea. brassica-hirta. trap-crops. intercropping-.
pest-control.
>brevicoryne-brassicae. myzus-persicae. phyllotreta-cruciferae.
population-density.
>insect-pests. predators-of-insect-pests. parasitoids-. species-diversity.
>plant-competition. sowing-date. plant-height. crop-yield. california-.

NOTE:  Study showed results, but they were of only limited significance.

-----
>Record 6 of 8 - Agricola 1/92-9/95
>AU:  Martin-Duvall,-T.; Vargas,-R.; Prather,-T.; Hembree,-K.
>TI:  Alfalfa/grass companion crop study.
>SO:  Proc-Calif-Weed-Conf. Fremont, Calif. : California Weed Conference.
1994. v. 46
>p. 257-258.
>CN:  DNAL 79.9-C122
>LA:  English
>DE:  medicago-sativa. grasses-. interplanting-. dactylis-. festuca-. lolium-.
>cultural-weed-control. chemical-control.
-----
>Record 7 of 8 - Agricola 1/92-9/95
>AU:  Raphaely,-P.
>TI:  A South African socioeconomic project based on small-sale
low-technology food
>gardening.
>SO:  Global perspectives on agroecology and sustainable agricultural systems
>proceedings of the sixth international scientific conference of the
International
>Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements. Santa Cruz, CA : Agroecology
Program,
>University of California, c1988.. p. 307-312.
>CN:  DNAL S605.5.I45-1986
>LA:  English
>DE:  gardening-. food-crops. rural-society. sociology-. projects-.
cultural-methods.
>companion-crops. social-impact. organizations-. education-. objectives-.
plot-size.
>case-studies. south-africa.
-----
>Record 8 of 8 - Agricola 1/92-9/95
>AU:  Simmons,-S.R.; Martin,-N.P.; Sheaffer,-C.C.; Stuthman,-D.D.;
Schiefelbein,-E.L.;
>Haugen,-T.
>TI:  Companion crop forage establishment: producer practices and perceptions.
>SO:  J-Prod-Agric. Madison, Wis. : American Society of Agronomy. Jan/Mar
1992. v. 5
>(1) p. 67-72.
>CN:  DNAL S539.5.J68
>LA:  English
>DE:  companion-crops. fodder-crops. crop-establishment. crop-management.
>regional-surveys. erosion-control. weed-control. lodging-.
interspecific-competition.
> [...]

>organic farmer, I have concentrated on commercial production of
>radishes, beans and green onions.  I am currently working on
>tomatoes, pole lima beans and dill. I have developed a
>trench-composting system for small-scale farmers and its
>practices relating to raised bed techniques.  And I have
>developed five new ways for composting which include
>large-scale/low-input for small farmers and municipalities. These
>new composting procedures were developed at the Austin Community
>Gardens.
>
>Land Description: I farm on three different soil types:  1. Sand
>with 15-year-old windrowed woodchip compost (this farm is
>utilized by dryland farming of vegetables).  2. A 5-acre
>blackland clay terraced farm being developed into an edible
>landscape with room for vegetable production. 3. Austin Community
>Gardens, blackland clay with tons of composted leaves/grass
>utilizing high intensive plantings.
>
>Information resources available: I have various handouts on
>moon-sign planting, companion planting and composting
>information.
>

>Ref#: 931 Organization  Cat: 00854
>
>Ecological Agriculture Projects
>MacDonald Campus, McGill Univ
>Ste-Anne-De-Bellevue, Canada
>
>Telephone:(514)398-7771
>Fax: (514)398-7621
>
>E-mail Address: CXHL@MUSICA.MCGILL.CA
>
>Contact People: Dr. tuart B. Hill, Mr. Jean Duval, Ms. Diane
>Martin, McGill University, QC, Canada H9X 3V9
>
>Preferred method of contact: Via telephone/fax, during working
>hours, EST.
>
>Sust. Agric. Roles: Information Provider
>
>Major Areas of Sust. Agric. Expertise: Horticultural Crop
>Production, Vegetable, Horticultural Crop Production, Fruit,
>Livestock Production
>
>Primary crop and livestock enterprises: Dairy Cattle, Poultry,
>Hogs, Beef Cattle, Chicken
>
>Description of Sustainable Agriculture work: Dr. Hill's current
>focus is on the relationship between psychological health, and
>the design, management, and support of sustainable eco-systems.
>1.  Education & Extension - University-level course and degree
>program in ecological agriculture - agro-bio information service
>2.  policy and representation  3.  research and consulting
>
>Land Description: organic research plots
>
>Information resources available: 1.  fact sheets 2.  papers
>(research papers) 3.  annotated bibliographies and lists 4.
>syntheses (French language only) on agricultural policy
>alternatives, ecological pest control, sustainable agriculture,
>diatomaceous earth, energy and agriculture, sustainable human
>development, green manuring, biological control, horticulture,
>soil fauna & agriculture, food systems, composting, companion
>plants, cultural control, ecological lawn care, organic
>gardening, biomass, agronomic conversion, soils and fertilizers,
>vegetable crops, fruit crops, livestock production, plant
>protection, int. development, environ. issues 5.  org files 6.

Shirley Johnson, Office Manager
PlaceCounty UCCE
11477 E Ave.
Auburn, CA  95603