Re: Organic quality refs (was Re: desk study needs your help - fwd)

Tom Hodges (sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu)
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 11:43:26 -0700 (PDT)

From: "Geraldo Defune" <pah_gd@wye.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 17:17:36 GMT
Subject: Organic quality refs (was Re: desk study needs your help - fwd)

Dear Ineke, Romero and other possibly interested BD & Sustag friends,

I have some quite good and clear refs showing significant quality
differences between BD, Organic & Agrochemical produce, besides my
own research results - I will fwd you an abstract in the next msg
(not to the lists, where I've already posted them).

Many of these refs are only in German. Please note that Koepf's 1976
English translation of BD Agric. DOES NOT include some essential
data from quality research (Samaras, etc) that appears in recent editions
(German & Portuguese).

I include below both the positive and negative/critical papers, to give the
whole picture:

ABELE U. (1987) Produktqualitdt und D|ngung - mineralisch, organisch,
biologisch-dynamisch. Angewande Wissenschaft (Schriftenreihe des
Bundesministers f|r Erndhrung, Landwirtschaft und Forsten). Heft 345.

KJER I. (1991) Qualitdtsmarkmale von Hopfen und Gerste aus
vkologischen Landbau. Vkologie und Landbau, 77, pp 12-13.

KNORR D. (1979) Quality of ecologically grown food. Lebensm.- Wiss.u.
- Technol., 12, pp 350-356.

KNORR D. (1982) Use of a circular chromatographic method for the
distinction of collard plants grown under different fertilizing
conditions. Biological Agriculture and Horticulture, 1, 1, pp 29-38.

KNORR D. (1983) Sustainable Food Systems. The Avi Publishing Company
INC. Westport. Connecticut. pp 416.

KOEPF H.H., PETTERSSON D. B., and SCHAUMANN W. (1976) Biodynamic
Agriculture. Antroposophic Press INC. U.S. pp 429.

Koepf H.H., Schaumann W. and Haccius M. (1996) Biologisch-Dynamische
Landwirtschaft: eine Einf|hrung. Eugen Ulmer GmbH & Co., Stuttgart,
Germany.

McSHEEHY W.T. (1977) Nutritive value of wheat grown under organic and
chemical systems of farming. Qualitas Plantarum - Plant
Foods for Human Nutrition, 27, 2, pp. 113-123.

MEIER-PLOEGER A., DUDEN R., and VOGTMANN H. (1989) Quality of food
plants grown with compost from biogenic waste agriculture, ecosystem
and environment, 27, pp 483-491.

MEIER-PLOEGER A. (1990) Consumer expectations and research on food
quality. In:Food Quality; Concepts and Methodology. Proceedings of the
Colloquium - Elm Farm Research Centre 24/25 February 1989. pp 21-26.

MILLER H., and DEMA I. S. (1958) Nutritive value of wheat from the
Rothamsted Broadbalk field. J. of the Nutrition Society,
17, pp 213-214.

PEAVY W.S., and GREIG J.K. (1972) Organic and mineral fertilizers
compared by yield, quality, and composition of spinach. J.
Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. , 97, pp 718-723.

PEAVY W.S., and GREIG J.K. (1972) Organic and mineral fertilizers
compared by yield, quality, and composition of spinach. J.
Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. , 97, pp 718-723.

PETTERSSON B. D. (1978) A Comparison between conventional and
biodynamic farming systems as indicated by yields and quality. Proc.
Internat. Res. Conf. IFOAM. Wirtz Verlag, Aarau.

PLOCHBERGER K. (1989) Feeding experiments. A criterion for quality
estimation of biologically and conventionally produced foods.
Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment, 1-4, 27, pp 419-428.

PLOCHBERGER K., and VELIMIROV A. (1992) Are food preference tests with
laboratory rats a proper method for evaluating nutritional quality?
Biological Agriculture and Horticulture, 8, 3, pp 221-234.

SOLOMON R. (1972) Natural foods - myth or magic. Assoc. Food Drug
Officials, 36, pp 131-136.

Samaras I. (1977) Das Nachernteverhalten unterschiedlich ged|ngter
Gem|searten mit besonderer Ber|cksichtigung physiologischer und
mikrobiologischer Parameter. Dissertation, Giessen, Germany.

SARAVACOS G., LUH B.S., and LEONARD S. J. (1959) Effects of
fertilizers on quality and composition of tomato juice. J. Food Sci.,
24, pp 648-655.

SCOTT P.P., GREAVES P.J. and SCOTT G.M. (1960) Reproduction in
laboratory animals as a measure of the value of some natural and
processed foods. J. Reprod. Fertil., 1, pp. 130-138.

SCHULTZ D.G., ZEDOW D., KVPKE V. (1992) Determinating the quality of
organic produce; Extended quality parameters and quality index.
Institute of Organic Agriculture Report, University of Bonn.

SCHULTZ H.G., and LORENZ O.A. (1976) Consumer preferences for
vegetables grown under "commercial" and "organic"conditions. In:
Sustainable Food Systems. Knorr D. (ed). Part IV. The Avi Publishing
Company INC. Westport. Connecticut.

SHIER W. N., KELMAN J., DUNSON W.J. (1984) A comparison of crude
protein, moisture ash, and crop yield between organic and
conventionally grown wheat. Nutrition Reports International, 30, 1, pp
71-76.

SCHUPHAN W. (1972) Effects of the application of inorganic and organic
manures on the market quality and on the biological value of agricultural
products. In: Sustainable Food Systems. Knorr D.
(ed). Part IV. The Avi Publishing Company INC. Westport.
Connecticut.

SCHUPHAN W. (1974) Nutritional value of crops as influenced by organic
and inorganic fertilizer treatments - results of 12 years experiments
with vegetables. Qual. Plant., 23, pp 333-358.

SCHUPHAN W. (1975) Yield maximalization versus biological value. Qual.
Plant. 24, pp 281-310.

SCHUPHAN W. (1976) Mench und Nahrungspflanze; Der Biologische Wert der
Nahrungspflanze in Abhdngigkeit von
Pestizideneinsatz, Bodenqualitdt und D|ngung. In: Sustainable Food
Systems. Knorr D. (ed). Part IV. The Avi Publishing Company INC.
Westport. Connecticut.

SMITH L.B. (1993) Organic foods vs supermarket foods; Element
levels. J. of Applied Nutrition, 45, 1, pp 35-39.

VELIMIROV A., and PLOCHBERGER K. (1992) The influence of biologically
and conventionally cultivated food on the fertility of rats.
Biological Agriculture and Horticulture, 8, 4, pp 325-337.

Vogtmann H. (1981) The Quality of Agricultural Produce Originating from
Different Systems of Cultivation. Soil Association, Haugley Suffolk.

VOGTMANN H. (1990) New Approaches to the Determination of Food
Quality. In: Food Quality; Concepts and Methodology. Proceedings of
the colloquium - Elm Farm Research Centre 24/25 February 1989. pp
44-49.

WISTINGHAUSEN E. (1973) Vergleichende Ertrags und
Qualitdtsuntersuchungen. Lebendige Erde, 1, pp 3-11.