Aiphoria & Threefold Social Order (was Re: Consumer demand for organic) (fwd)

Tom Hodges (sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu)
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 08:04:28 -0700 (PDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 12:15:44 +0100 (BST)
From: Geraldo_Deffune <pah_gd@wye.ac.uk>
To: BD Email List <bd-l@biodynamics.com>
Cc: pah_gd@lister.tricity.wsu.edu, sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu
Subject: Aiphoria & Threefold Social Order (was Re: Consumer demand for organic)

Dear Mike,

Regarding your questions:

> Isn't it interesting that the english language doesn't have a word to
> properly describe the entire scope of the "organic" movement. That has to
> indicate the huge change in the attitudes of the entire population necessary
> before organics can become mainstream. Maybe these changes are related to
> the Threefold Social Order of the Steiner lectures? (I have no idea what the
> TSO is will someone please enlighten me?)

1. What I can remember (they say you "forget the form" of whatever you
incorporate...) of Steiner's Threefold Social Order concept is tha a
healthy social organism must resemble a healthy human organism in its
threefold nature of Neuro-Sensorial, Rhythmic & Methabolism/Members
spheres of action.

In society this three parts relate respectively to the
Education/Research, Politics/Administration & Industry/Agriculture
(production) - the social "head, heart and guts/members".

Socrates has used this analogy in Plato's Republic - it is a beautiful
and practical way of looking at the social order.

2. Regarding the proper description of the scope of the "organic"
movement...

A friend, the Greek Professor of Agroforestry, Dr. Ioannis Ispikoudis, is
proposing that we write a paper suggesting the term Aiphoria or Iphoria
(AEIFOPIA) to more precisely define "sustainability" as a "Homoeostatic
progress, an evolving process in productivity and happiness". Aiphoria is
the collective, ecological (environmental/social), introspective,
philosophical counterpart of Euphoria - the individual, expansive,
ephemerous feeling of happiness.

Aiphoria expresses Life's supreme victory over Entropy, by building up
complexity and beauty where dead matter and energy disintegrate and
dissipate.

I think it is quite inspiring...what do you think?

Cheers,

Geraldo DEFFUNE - G.Deffune@wye.ac.uk
Wye College - University of London
Sustainable Agriculture Research Group
Wye, Ashford, Kent TN25 5AH, England, U.K.
Tel.:(44-1233)813658 or 812401 ext.271/504; Fax: (44-1233)812855
WEB http://www.wye.ac.uk/agriculture/sargintro.html
PhD Student Xponsored by CNPq - The Brazilian Research Council