orgvsconv once more (fwd)

Tom Hodges (sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu)
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 20:40:49 -0700 (PDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 1997 19:20:41 -0700
From: "Ricardo M. Braga" <rmbraga@200.238.230.34>
To: sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu
Subject: orgvsconv once more

Dear Sustag friends,
To add a tip to organic quality in my own research, monitoring nitrate levels
in fresh vegetables, I found differences between organic and conventional, at tropical
Rio de Janeiro market been up to 4.8 times greater in conventional produce. In
another words, some one, with a weight of 60Kg, who eats 100g of conventional spinach
would have load up to 23% of his daily intake of nitrate, as suggested in UN-.
Nitrate built up, in general speaking, is not a big trouble around here yet, but
I just read a papper abstract today - "Modulation of nitrate-nitrite conversion in the
oral cavity". Van Maanen, Johannes M.; Van Geel, Allan A.; Kleinjans, Jos C.(Department
of Health Risk Analysis and Toxicology, University of Limburg, Maastricht, Neth.).
Cancer Detect. Prev., 20(6), 590-596: Journal CA Section: 13 (Mammalian Biochemistry)-
where the authors were talking about the possibility of modulation of the conversion of
nitrate into nitrite in the oral cavity in order to seek ways of reducing the formation
of the deleterious nitrite. I learned that mouthwash solns., toothpaste and chewing gum
can be used with confidence to control endogenous nitrosation resulting in the formation
of carcinogenic N-nitroso compds.
I start to wonder about Geraldo DEFFUNE email with references and the opnion of
Guillermo Romero

> I do not think that we will be able to find much differences between
> conventional and organic or BD foods by using the limited observation
> instruments available to positivist science (reductionist view).

that, i can not argue, usual statistics, good references/research or what we see
clear some times is not enough to understand things.
That organic produces are healthier than conventional vegetables, no doubt. The
matter is just like not to be a passive smockers. Eat organic is a step up perception
in give healthy to our family, community, city, state and of course the planet.
If we can choose and if we have the knowledge, why do not choose?

--
Ricardo M. Braga
MS student of Agroecology