Re: Threefold Social Order (fwd)

Tom Hodges (sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu)
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:27:21 -0700 (PDT)

From: "Geraldo Defune" <pah_gd@wye.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:43:18 GMT
Subject: Re: Threefold Social Order

Dear Friends,

I thank Malcolm for the very important points he made.

When I mentioned that Socrates was attributed this analogy in Plato's
Republic, I was referring to the analogy between the individual and
society (as the amplified picture of its members) and in the
application of a threefold conception.

In the "Republic" there's a shocking contrast between deeply mystical,
poetic and FREE concepts like the "Analogy of the Cave" and such a
cold mechanical vision of society in the "ideal republic". One can
interpret this dichotomy by either:
1. Differences between true narratives of Socrates' teachings and
Plato's own opinions.
2. Intentional use of the "antithesis effect" by exaggerating the
clockwork or beehive characteristics of a "perfect" society, to make
readers "feel" the discomfort and lead to the understanding of the
meaning of "utopia" and that there's no happiness and justice for
both individual and society without freedom. This can be the case,
for the "Republic" is very similar to what Spartan society was - a
rival in all senses to the Athenian standards. So, Plato could be
making the ultimate criticism to Spartan ideals.

Otherwise, Karl Popper has a good and lengthy criticism of Plato's
dogmatic tendencies in "The Open Society and its Enemies".

It is interesting to note that a "polarity" similar to the
Athenian/Spartan rivalry re-emerged in modern times between
Capitalism/Comunism. The solution may well lie in escaping these
"maniqueistic dualism" with a threefold conception.

Also note that Steiner's concept matches the French revolution's
"Liberte', Egalite', Fraternite'" moto - applying them to the right
social spheres of action (see Malcolm's comments below).

One of the most (if not THE most) important contributions of
Steiner's to contemporary thinking is the contrast between
ORGANIC and MECHANICAL systems: the former are living,
have RHYTHMS, Freedom, build up complexity; while the latter
are "dead", subject to CYCLES and Entropy.

Regarding Agriculture, I also prefer the expression Agricultural
Organism to Agricultural Individuality.

Thanks,

Geraldo DEFFUNE - G.Deffune@wye.ac.uk
Wye College - University of London
Sustainable Agriculture Research Group
Wye, Ashford, Kent TN25 5AH, England, U.K.
Tel.:(44-1233)813658 or 812401 ext.271/504; Fax: (44-1233)812855
WEB http://www.wye.ac.uk/agriculture/sargintro.html
PhD Student Xponsored by CNPq - The Brazilian Research Council