NELSA MORRISON BUCKINGHAM (JUNE 18, 1929 - JULY 11, 1999)
From: Ed Schreiner <Ed_Schreiner@nps.gov>

It is with great sadness I must report that we have lost another
great  Pacific Northwest botanist, dear friend and mentor. Nelsa
Buckingham came to botany some 25 years ago, learning the  field
from "scratch" after age 45. She soon distinguished herself as a
meticulous  and  outstanding  botanist  championing  what I have
called the "Olympocentric" view.

The Olympic Peninsula in  the  northwest  corner  of  Washington
State became her laboratory. She discovered (with husband "Buck"
and  Ed  Tisch  among  others) well over 100 plants not known to
occur on the Olympic Peninsula (published in Madrono,  the  1983
November  Supplement). It became evident to her that the Olympic
Peninsula contained an incredibly rich flora  and  served  as  a
highly  complex  refugium  for plants during past glaciations as
well as the Holocene warm period. We had many great  discussions
about  how most people thought that plants simply migrated south
of Puget Sound during the last glaciation (Vashon Stade,  Fraser
Glaciation).  The  theory being that plants moved south and then
returned north as the ice melted. Nelsa always thought  that  it
would be a lot easier for plants to have survived the glaciation
in  the  Olympic Mountains and along the Coast and then returned
to Puget Sound. Her detailed geological, glacial, climatic,  and
phytogeographic  research  convinced  her  (and  me  as  well as
others) that her hypothesis justified the "Olympocentric"  view.
(Indeed,  we  think this is the only logical explanation for the
distribution of Juniperus scopulorum in western Washington.) The
high endemism (9), shared endemic plants and animals  with  Van-
couver  Island  (6)  and  plants disjunct from: 600 miles to the
north  (Draba  longipes),  300  miles  east   in   the   Rockies
(Astragalus  microcystis  and  others), and plants disjunct from
Coastal Oregon (Whipplea modesta) all serve as evidence of  this
refugium.  In addition, several plants are Coastal endemics that
reach the southern extent of the ranges on the Olympic Peninsula
(Gentiana douglasiana, Coptis trifolia).

Nelsa's most amazing accomplishment was the  completion  of  the
"Flora  of  the Olympic Peninsula" in 1995 [see BEN # 135]. This
book culminated two decades of botanical research and represents
her botanical career. If you haven't seen the book  it  is  well
worth  a look. The work contains Nelsa's ideas on the origins of
the Olympic Peninsula flora as well as  numerous  insights  into
the taxonomy of our plants. And, not least, the book attempts to
reconcile  Hitchcock and Cronquist nomenclature with more modern
works.

Born in Chicago to Robert and Florence Virginia Morrison,  Nelsa
attended  the  Radcliffe College division of Harvard University,
where she carried a double major in anthropology  and  archaeol-
ogy,  until her junior year when she left school to get married.
Later at age 45 she  returned  to  the  classroom  at  Peninsula
College  (Port  Angeles, WA), then went on to get her bachelor's
degree in plant ecology from the Evergreen  State  College  near
Olympia, WA.

Her  resume  included foreman of asparagus cutters, natural his-
tory museum assistant curator, Seattle Trust  and  Savings  Bank
teller,  and Camp Fire leader. As a research botanist Mrs. Buck-
ingham devoted herself to the study  of  the  Olympic  Peninsula
flora.

Nelsa  was  a  founding  member  of  the Washington Native Plant
Society, worked for and participated in the  Washington  Natural
Heritage Program, and was an Olympic National Park volunteer for
more than 20 years. In 1991, she received both the National Park
Service  Outstanding  Volunteer  Award  and,  from  KING-5 TV in
Seattle, recognition from Project Environment Volunteers  Making
a  Difference.  In  her  retirement she taught creative arts and
acrylic painting.

Nelsa left  us  thousands  of  specimens,  photographs,  and  of
course,  the  Flora. Thank you, Nelsa, for enriching our lives -
we will miss you.

Memorials: The Nature Conservancy, 4245 N Fairfax Dr., Arlington
   VA 22203;
   Natural Resources Defense Council, PO Box  96048,  Washington
   D.C. 20077-7488;
   Washington  Native Plant Society, P.O. Box 28690, Seattle, WA
   98118.

BRITISH COLUMBIA: THE RANGE REFERENCE AREA PROGRAM CANCELLED
From: Don Gayton <Don.Gayton@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Ecological  monitoring  in  British  Columbia  has  suffered   a
profound setback. After three years of operation, Forest Renewal
BC  funding  for the Range Reference Areas Program is being can-
celled. Range Reference  Areas  (RRA's)  are  permanent,  fenced
installations  with  detailed  long-term  vegetation  monitoring
plots, essential for defining rangeland communities and  succes-
sional  patterns,  and tracking the impacts of disturbances such
as livestock grazing, wildlife, weeds, fire, forest ingrowth and
encroachment.

It was a productive three  years.  A  team  consisting  of  Fred
Knezevich  in  Williams Lake, Perry Grilz/Tracie Leys-Schirok in
Prince George, Rick Tucker in Kamloops and Don Gayton in Nelson,
under  the  leadership  of  Matt  Fairbarns,  an   indefatigable
ecologist  in  Victoria.  Fairbarns  established a statistically
defensible experimental design for the RRAs;  fenced  exclosures
were  to  be  a  minimum  of  1  hectare in size, located in key
biogeoclimatic subzones/site series,  with  randomized  sampling
transects and a minimum of fifty observations in each treatment.
In  the first year, the group took vegetation measurements using
the traditional  Daubenmire  cover  estimates,  but  after  much
discussion,  Fairbarns  introduced  point intercept, a much more
precise and unbiased method of monitoring vegetation.

The RRA field team hit  the  ground  running,  establishing  and
monitoring some 260 exclosures in the three years, upgrading and
remeasuring   another   one  hundred  existing  exclosures,  and
centralizing all the diverse data sources.

The range and distribution of these RRA's is  truly  impressive,
from the Sikanni Chief area northwest of Fort Saint John, to the
Junction  range  south of Riske Creek, to the spectacular Nicola
Grasslands near Merritt and to Dragon Flats,  an  alpine  meadow
complex  north  of  Grand  Forks.  Many riparian exclosures were
established as well. As a result of the  Program,  the  Province
now  as  sites  in all the major ecosystems grazed by livestock,
including forested, riparian and alpine types. Besides  monitor-
ing the grazing activity of domestic cattle, specific RRA's were
also  established  to  monitor  the impacts of pack horses, wild
sheep, elk and bison.

"You can't manage if you don't monitor."  This  truism  is  par-
ticularly  appropriate  to  grasslands  and  dry  forests, where
ecological change is frequently slow and  difficult  to  detect.
Fairbarns  and  the RRA team recognized the challenge of distin-
guishing between native bunchgrasses, low-seral  native  grasses
and  introduced  grasses,  something many earlier range managers
ignored. So we all spent the requisite "hard time" on hands  and
knees  in  the field, hunched over microscopes and floras in the
office, and poring over  mounted  specimens.  The  results  were
worth  it; as we now have the first comprehensive, Province-wide
record of grazed and ungrazed plant communities, as well as data
on the abundance (and  scarcity)  of  the  key  native  fescues,
agropyrons  and  stipas,  the  ecological  backbone  of  British
Columbia's grasslands.

Learning from previous unsuccessful range  monitoring  attempts,
we  hammered  away at rigorous documentation, data analysis, and
data storage. In contrast to much of the earlier work,  we  made
sure the RRA plot layout and monitoring methodology were consis-
tent, and absolutely explicit. Shane Ford was brought on to help
build a Province-wide database for the monitoring data, and as a
result  the  government-wide  VENUS  software  was  rewritten to
accommodate our data (the  RRA  section  is  now  affectionately
known  as  "Venus  de  Moo"). This initial data set, if added to
over time, will  become  an  invaluable  resource  for  defining
Potential  Natural  Community,  seral  stage, and the impacts of
disturbance.

A number of RRA products are now  available  to  the  interested
public; summary information is available at
   http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/range/rra/rra.htm
and for the RRAs of the Nelson Region at
   http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/nelson/research/rra/intro.htm

Detailed  summaries  of data will become available through VENUS
shortly.

So, what's the problem? If the exclosures are built and the data
captured, why does the RRA program need to carry on?  There  are
two reasons-time, and expertise.

Fence  off  a  grazed,  upland  range  community and monitor the
vegetation. For the first three years virtually nothing happens.
After five years, just a few tantalizing clues. After ten  years
we  see  definite  succession taking place, which will then con-
tinue to evolve for the next twenty  to  forty  years  before  a
steady  state is reached. During that time span, dozens of other
questions emerge. What types of rotations best  accelerate  suc-
cession?  Can  we meet Biodiversity obligations? What happens to
the cryptogamic community? Have we properly defined  the  Poten-
tial Natural Community? How do noxious weeds respond? What about
changes to insect, and bird populations?

It  also  takes  time to build and maintain field expertise; the
people who know rangeland plant taxonomy and ecology  are  scat-
tered  thinly on the British Columbia landscape, and their ranks
get thinner all the time, as they give up, move away, or retire.

The RRA program was truly innovative in Canada. No other  juris-
diction  has  a  unified, consistent program solely dedicated to
understanding ecosystems over such a broad area. The  team  that
built  it  was  unique also. As a veteran of many working groups
over the course of my  career,  the  team  of  Fairbarns,  Ford,
Grilz,  Knezevich,  Leys-Schirok and Tucker stands as one of the
finest.

It is ironic that the RRA program is being scrapped just as  the
British  Columbia  public  is  awakening  to  the ecological and
esthetic value of our grasslands, and to  the  many  threats  to
their continued existence.

NEW BOOK: SAND DUNE PLANTS OF OREGON

Wiedemann,  Alfred M., La Rea J. Dennis, & Frank H. Smith. 1999.
   Plants of the Oregon coastal dunes. Oregon  State  University
   Press,  Corvallis, OR. 120 p. ISBN 0-87071-457-0 [soft cover]
   Cost: US$12.95
   Available from: Oregon State University Press, 101 Waldo Hall
   Corvallis, OR 97331-6407 Ph: 541-737-3166, fax: 541-737-3170
   http://osu.orst.edu/dept/press

This book was originally published in 1969 and has served  as  a
guide  to natural history of the Oregon coastal dunes and to the
plants found on them. The first two sections explain the natural
history of dunes and describe plant communities associated  with
dunes  and how they change over time. The final section provides
an easy-to-use key to ninety common dune  plants.  Each  species
profile  includes  a  photograph,  a  detailed  description, and
information on habitat and range. This new edition of  the  book
considers changes in dune areas in recent decades, notes conser-
vation efforts, and updates scientific names.