Re: Farmers' Market-Based CSA? (fwd)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. (london@sunsite.unc.edu)
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 16:07:24 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 21:53:01 -0400
From: ASFisher@aol.com
To: dlh3@cornell.edu
Cc: sanet-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
Subject: Re: Farmers' Market-Based CSA?

Duncan-
Great idea. We are doing it here in LA. The Market basket Program marries an
inner city farmers market with a CSA concept. It works somethng like this: a
consumer purchases ambasket for the upcoming week. The price is set at 15%
less than the farmers market price - $10; $13 for folks who want to subsidize
low income people; and $7 for those on food stamps, wic, etc. The project
manager buys from the farmers at the market who bring extra to sell. S/he
assembles baskets with volunteer help, and the customers either pick them up
at a nearby church, or we are starting a delivery service. This works on a
weekly basis to fit low income budgets. Outreach has been done through child
care programs, wic ofices, churches etc. The basic idea is to provide access
to high quality foods at low prices where such access is lacking.
If you would like more information, contact Bob Gottlieb or Michelle
Mascarenhas at 310-825-1067. The project is run by UCLA Dept of Urban
Planning in conjunction with Southland Farmers market Assoc.

Andy Fisher
CFS Coalition
Po box 209
Venice