Re: Gussow on Nutrition/Food Systems

dGianni (giannora@emf.net)
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 18:56:54 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996 MARCIEROSE@aol.com wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:53:15 -0500
> From: MARCIEROSE@aol.com
> To: karin@agate.net
> Cc: csa-l@prairienet.org
> Subject: Re: Gussow on Nutrition/Food Systems
>
> Dear Karen,
>
> Thanks for your Sanet post.
>
> (snipped) One
> of the problems is they are "too busy" ...(snip)
>
> If you have any suggestions on how to help folks over come their "kitchen
> impairments," their "too much effort for just me," or their "I don't have
> time," please let us know.
>
> Marcie
> Full Circle Organic Farm

When I hear people say, "I'm too busy, no time..." etc., etc., I take
them to mean that they 1) don't yet realize that they need to plan ahead
and organize the cooking chores (among a few people, if necessary) and 2)
they aren't yet invested enough in thinking "organics" to make the
commitment to plan ahead and organize their cooking. To belong to a CSA
is a statement, but if they don't actually support the longevity of the
CSA, it's kind of lip service.

Along with teaching HOW to cut up veggies and teaching recipes, I would
develop a focus on STRATEGY: Take the 5-10 minutes to wash, cut prepare,
etc. the evening before. Get help from other household members that are
eating the food. Try to create the situation where all the prep is done
before the hour the meal is expected to be eaten. THAT takes energy and
effort. One reason agribusinesses are able to wipe out small farmers who
defy the synthetic pesticide/fertilizer pressures successfully laid on
by the chemical industry is because they know that mass marketing has
propagandized consumers to think they want FAST, EASY, COSMETIC food. The
economic pressures on larger numbers of people mean less time at home and
more time working. STRATEGY in the kitchen is essential to overcome the
efforts of agribusiness to PESTICIDE THE WORLD! Join the resistance or
shop at non organic sources, eat processed foods, cook minute rice, buy
spam...you know what I mean. ;)
DGH