Re: comfrey tendencies

YankeePerm@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/10/97 5:06:37 AM, dtv@mwt.net (Miekal And) wrote:
>
> >For anyone in the know,
> >
> >I'm wondering about the extent of the invasive tendencies with comfrey
> >in a zone 2-3 situation. I'd like to use it as living and cut mulch and
> >have heard mention of people interspersing it all over in close to the
> >dwelling forest gardens. am confident about safe use of it as a lower
> >story in orchards. but i'd like to try it closer in, among our expanse
> >of beds (annuals and perennials) that were planted in a field of quack
> >grass - to define the beds and pathways,  and to start filling in
> >against the quack and thistles.
> >Anyone with helpful speculation about comfrey as a mulch plant or border
> >definer in a water abundant zone 4 situation please respond.
> >
> >cheers
> >
> >hether
>
> Comfrey is not invasive unless you rototill it.  In that  case you will ge a
> zillion little comfrey plant as each root piece develops leaves and makes a
> new clone.
>

>  YankeePerm@aol.com

Hi,Just a note to those of you reading this in areas with gophers. Here
in California, comfrey roots are also eaten by the gophers who will
harvest 100's of short root pieces and then stash them in little pockets
which then sprout into a jungle of comfrey. Whether this happens with
any other rodents, I don't know, but I do know that gophers will also
store Bermuda grass with the same results. This hasn't stopped us from
growing comfrey, but if we don't harvest the tops regularly, the rest of
the garden can disappear in it.

Keith
keithdj@sonic.net