Re: Carbon Sequestration (fwd)

Subject: Re: Carbon Sequestration
To: Recipients of CHRM-GENERAL <chrm-general@igc.apc.org>

From: JODY BUTTERFIELD <jodybs@igc.apc.org>

Dick,

We got our data on the amount of carbon grasslands are able to sequester
(compared to forests) from (Kansas State University ecologist) John Blair,
who has done most of his work in tall-grass prairies (I believe). Our focus
is on grassland fires because these contribute far more carbon to the
atmosphere than the burning of rainforests, which are far less extensive,
and the contribution to global warming/climate change of grassland biomass
burning is largely being ignored by those seeking to address global warming.
Animal impact of course, sets up a chain reaction of events that help
increase organic matter (improved habitat for dung beetles being one of them).

--Jody