Re: Information on vegetation management, etc (fwd)

I found this article interesting, as it was just after I had written up
some information about the mineral cycle and how the Alley farming worked
at Dowerin in WA. This story also brings me to remember the seminar I
attended on the work of Vicktor Schauberger and his study of the the effect
Shade had on the banks of streams and the recharge of groundwater.
Vic.

I thought I'd share this announcement from John Anderson at Hedgerow Farms
with a number of people who may find it interesting.  I apologize for the
long list of addresses, but you are such a diverse group I haven't made a
directory for you. This is info primarily for Californians, but there ought
to be comparable plants elsewhere. Earle

The Yolo County Resource Conservation District (Yolo RCD) and Hedgerow
Farms have been developing vegetation management practices for canal banks,
drainage channels, roadsides, riparian corridors, and levees.  We are using
native perennial plants which are now readily available in the commercial
seed and transplant industry.  As an example, the common practice on
irrigation canals is to keep them vegetation free with multiple herbicide
applications. We are using a complex of native perennial grasses on the
upslope dry banks and a complex of short statured native sedges and rushes
(Carex sp., Juncus sp. and Eleocharis sp.) at the water's edge.   The goal
is not only bank stabilization, but once these perennials are established,
they keep out unwanted weedy vegetation including cattails.  We are in the
process of evaluating a 2 mile section of the Winters Canal planted over
the past 2 years and funded with an EPA 319 grant.

It is working better than imagined.  The wildlife benefits are spectacular.
We are also recognizing the value of certain local willow species,
especially the red willow, in stabilizing banks.  Nine year old tress
planted as far as 25 ft from the water's edge establish a thick mat of root
hairs along the sides of the canals below the water surface and without
question do a marvelous job at holding soil in place. They are also
probably playing a role picking up nutrient loads. Relative to management
of farm generated sediment, we are promoting the use of tailwater ponds and
have over 15 now in place in Yolo County.

We have produced a series of technical guides that detail all of the
practices including planting strategies and plant lists.  They are now all
in one volume entitled "Bring Farm Edges Back to Life" and can be obtained
from the RCD for $10.  A web site will soon be up and running.  RCD Phone
is 916 662 2037 ext 202.