Bont tick and natural tickisides (fwd)

From: drichdsn@iafrica.com
cc: boomer@saon.com (Norman Neave)

Dear all,
-----------------snip---------
Can anyone help please,
                       Vic
_________________End__________

I have a client who has a problem with the bont tick and the resulting
heartwater etc. They are also currently battling a lot with Nagana. This is a
disease spread by the tsetse fly which is reinfesting its natural habitat now
that it is immune to the DDT spread in huge tonnages there in earlier days.

Innoculations for heartwater etc are being quite effective but teat loss on the
cows from the ticks them selves remain a problem. They do dip still,
occasionally, strategically and when necessary but would like to stop using
chemicals for the sake of the dung beetles there. He has proper Zululand
dungbeetles which one sees so little of these days. They are about 2 inches
long and would knock you off your horse if you were going at speed.

So do you know of any natural remedies for these ticks and possibly for the
tsetse?

The blokes name is Norman Neave. He is from Boomerang Farms near Matubatuba in
Zululand, Natal South Africa. His e-mail address which I will put on a request
to have him attatched to this conference on another posting, is boomer@saon.com

Thanks Dick (Africa)
----
Dick and Judy Richardson