Re: hay for algal control

>Vic,
>
>Thanks for the prompt reply... if it's little trouble, I'd love any info
>you can dig up. I've got a pond in New Mexico, US that is virtually choke=
>with filamentous algae, the owners don't want to disturb the pond (it's
>already feeling quite peckish from all the above-stream nutrients reachin=
>it -- hay fields and 100 or so llamas) but wouldn't mind a little hay or
>straw in the water.

This from my friend Albert West from Eneabba (north of Perth).
Take 3 synthetic bags (Super or 3 bushel wheat) and fill with barley straw.
Place on the pond and leave for three days may need 4 if the weather is
hot. The bags blow around on the pond and follow the algy. I have no idea
if is possible to leave the hay in the water, as albert removes it.
You could also try putting a square bale of barley on the edge of the pond.
Pull it out the same way as soon as the algy disappears.
The ponds are aound 2,000 cubic metres. The bags were woven synthetic. Jute
would be o.k.

>Thanks again, Jack

Regards,
          Vic
--
Victor Guest   V.G.Guest                       Perth, Western Australia
victor.guest@eepo.com.au                 1 Annato Street Greenwood 6024