[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TH: The Lore Of Trees ...

Dear TREE-HOUSE,

	1.	Some schools argue the following method for alleviating
	a tree's after-shock resulting from its being transplanted :
	Before removing it from its original location, mark its trunk
	(or even better mark the container / burlap in which it is to
	be transported) on the north side.  Then when the tree goes in
	the ground at its destination, orient the tree so that the mark
	will line up to north at this new location.  Presumably this is
	to approximate the sun's relationship to the tree as it had been
	earlier on.  But then, if this actually works, one might ponder
	if there is some `deeper' logic at work here.  Maybe the tree
	had chosen this specific, cosmic orientation in response to some
	`other' calling ? Shear speculation, understand.  But also, after
	transplanting, trees appreciate some extra Vitamin-B which helps
	to mend their wounded roots - available commercially in `UpStart'.

	2.	Do red trees grow slower than green ones ? I've wondered
	about this question for years.  Our rubiest tree of all - Japanese
	Red Maple (Acer palmatum?) - spreads very slowly and never gets
	very big.  The Norways (Acer platanoides?) grow pretty rapidly,
	but less so for their `Purpurea' cultivar - their purple mutation,
	popularly known as Crimson King.  What about the short-lived (but
	attractive) deeply-purpled ornamental Plums ? For a real knock-out,
	rare to us Baltimorons, take the huge purple varieties of European
	Beech, some of which are weeping (pendulous), but I don't know
	how quickly they grow relative to their greener cousins within the
	same species.  Come to think of it, are the greener cultivars of
	Japanese Maple quicker than the Reds ? Hmmm, been wondering ...
	(I apologize for not having my Latin tree reference on hand now.)

Lastly, we are planning to found a second Internet forum, dedicated to
the more aesthetical, less forestrionic of landscaping issues - sculpture
gardens, Earth Art, memorial parks and the like.  Its working ID is :

	< BURIAL-GROUND > Discussion List For Environmental Art.

If interested, please reply to me directly ...

	Richard < owner-tree-house@lists.umbc.edu >