Re: certification

I say Charge the cheats not the ones that are not cheating.  how about
getting back to innocent till proven guilty.  Why make the folks that are
not cheating pay for those that are.  Go tax those folks that are pouring
herbicides in our water and spraying pesticides on our school grounds and
let the good organic farmers go on about there bussiness.

You are talking about a real revolution in thought. What is the real cost of chemical fertilizers and pesticides ? Even the direct costs ?  Do you think that these are ever going to be paid by conventional farmers ? Industrial agriculture ?!  There are a lot of things that are simply not thought about in our current culture.

A cheap food policy is hard on people who are not taking full advantage of "the system", but it does let poor people eat. Then again, I don't think that you are raising organic vegetables because it is the easiest thing to do. And I don't think that you are selling organic vegetables to people whose thoughts are focused on food, shelter, and clothing.

I am not in favor of paying the USDA for their blessing on my food. I'm already paying OGBA for that. Since we sell everything locally, I'm not sure what i would be getting for my money.

I look at certification as "the rules". If you want to play the game, follow the rules. If you are not interested in games, I guess you'ld be organic farming off-the-label. Certification opens maketing doors for me. I have to do a lot less selling when I say "certified organic".

Boy your going to carry that weight carry that weight a long time. I am not
cheating I should not have to pay one extra cent to sell organic produce as
organic if it is. They are getting ready to make a special tax for growing
and selling organic and you only have to pay if your grow organic and sell
organic.  and if you cannot afford to pay  then you have no business
selling organic food.

All true. Be sure to raise your prices.

Hope you have not had frost yet.

Greg