Re: Role of Factory Farms

On the topic of corporate farms, I'm curious as to exactly how
"corporate" farms are defined, and how that definition may differ from the
typical impression of non-family oriented, mass production farming.

I know of a certified organic farm family here in Maryland that farms
20 acres with rotations of corn, soybean, squash and rye, who just decided
to become a "corporation" to simplify their taxes, insurance, etc.

When the census is taken, are farms such as this one considered under the
"corporate farm" category?

Many people are concerned about the rise in corporate farms and the
decline of family farms, but I wonder how many of these family farms
actually ARE the corporate farms?

Missy Stine
University of Maryland, College Park
mstine@wam.umd.edu