Re: Role of Factory Farms

----------
From: Marian Buckner <MEBUCKNER@wnpb.wvnet.edu>
To: sanet-mg@ces.ncsu.edu
Subject: Role of Factory Farms
Date: Sunday, September 21, 1997 3:50 PM

<snip>
	I am involved in working to further the future of family farms.
I need more info.  Here are some of my questions:
	What foods other than hogs and poultry are produced by corporate
farms?  I assume that beef is also.  And grains? Every major
commodity
is dominated by corporate farming and there is almost an incestuous
relationship . The food industry is vertical and horizontal
intergrated
The top 400 corporation control the production , marketing , and
distribution
of more than 60 % of the world's major food stocks.  Another source
is Edgar
the S.E.C. online database retrieve the info from the major food
companies.
Look up Standard & Poors Investment book at the library for the
names of the major food companies. Try Archer-Daniel Midland first,
Philip Morris, RjR Nabisco, Quaker Oats, Hersey, Kellog, General
Mills,
IBP Corp, Tyson , Continenal Grain  (CIC)  just for starters......

Contact Bill Hefferman, Dept Chair & Prof of Rural Sociology at U of
Missouri/Columbia
He has the facts , presented a talk at the 1997 Upper Midwest Organic
Farming Conference
at Sinsinawa Mound Center, Wi on Mar 7,
On globalization and industrialization of the food system. Covers
everthing you need

There is even tapes available from the conference

Power lies in how concentrated it is., The family farm will never
have power unless
it is organized . Note wealth of corporation  is derived by creating
bottlenecks in either the distribution or marketing ( the value added
end) not in production . Corporations are higher up in the food
chain. There size is the market....classic monopoly theory
ie the cost odf advertising a box of cereal exceeds the ingredients
Something wrong with that picture

David B. Sullivan,
Public Relations Director  WBPA
(Wisconsin Bison Producers Association)
Director of WATA
(Wisconsin Agricultural Tourism Assoc. Inc)
Telephone (608) -723-6213
email: Buffalob@mhtc.net

Mailing address:
Buffalo Falls Ranch, LLC