Re: night cultivation for weed control

 Lawrence F. London, Jr. - InterGarden - Venaura Farm
 mailto:london@sunSITE.unc.edu - mailto:llondon@bellsouth.net
 http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden
 http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden/permaculture.html

http://sunsite.unc.edu/london/orgfarm/biocontrol/tilling-soil-in-darkness-to-reduce-weeds

Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 17:05:04 -0800
From: "Carol A. Miles" <milesc@wsu.edu>
To: sanet-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
Subject: Nightmare in the Tilling Fields

Nightmare in the Tilling Fields - this article just appeared in the
Cornell Ag Viepoints Newsletter.  It summarizes work by USDA-ARS scientist
Doug Buhler in Rosemount, Minnesota.  The work indicates that tilling
soil in darkness can reduce small-seeded broadleaf weeds by 50-80%.

Does anyone know if this work has been published and/or is the reference
available? Have these results been documented elsewhere?  A pointer to the
author or others who have conducted this type of research would be
appreciated.  Buhler is apparantly located at the National Soil Tilth
Laboratory in Ames, Iowa.

    Carol A. Miles, Ph.D.
    Washington State University
    Extension Agricultural Systems