Re: making the inspector the extensionist

This is in response to Joel Gruver's message:

NOFA-NY Certification Program considered making the inspector also the
outreach educator, but since the inspector eats up a large chunk of the
budget of our shoestring program, we decided that was not
affordable.Instead the NOFA-NY parent organisation handles outreachin a
number of ways, all with volunteer labor. One way is an apprenticeship
project pairing certified farmers with wanabees, kicked off with a couple
of general informational meetings attended by all pairs. In response to
growing interest in dairy certification, our certification program
administrator has done presentations at dairy farmer meetings around the
state where technical questions involved inthe transition to organic are
discussed at length.

But I agree in principle it makes sense that the regulator be the
educator.

Karl North
Northland Sheep Dairy
northsheep@juno.com
"Nature never tries to farm without livestock"  --Albert Howard