Re: Greenhouse Light and Migratory Birds

Rob Gordon (robert.gordon@central.sun.com)
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 13:21:15 -0600

> From almanac-request@amani.ces.ncsu.edu Fri Aug 30 12:29 MDT 1996
> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 96 09:04 PDT
> To: sanet-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
> From: "B.C. Horticultural Coalition" <bchort@iceonline.com>
> Subject: Greenhouse Light and Migratory Birds
>
> We are an organization that represents commercial horticultural growers in
> British Columbia, Canada. One of the municipalities in southwestern BC is
> proposing to adopt bylaws that would restrict the development of
> greenhouses. The rationale being given is that the light from the
> greenhouses will negatively affect bird migration and nesting habits. (The
> municipality is part of the Pacific Flyway for migratory birds.) While we
> have found research that indicates that light does affect bird migration, we
> have been unable to find any articles that specifically studied the effect
> of light from greenhouses.

Is the issue radiant light at night time or reflected light
during the day? If it is the former, why not install blinds?
It would be an expense but probably more preferable to greenhouse
growers than being closed down.