Looking for a Market Organic for Foods?

Andy Clark, SAN Coordinator (san@nal.usda.gov)
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 15:52:35 -0500 (EST)

Mostly unrelated to the current organic discussion, I forward this from
several other lists, FYI.

Andy

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 96 08:17:00 PST
From: Perez, Carlos <PEREZ@care.org>
To: ecological agriculture <ecol-agric@mailbase.ac.uk>

----------
From: owner-devel-l
To: Multiple recipients of list DEVEL-L
Subject: Looking for a Market Organic for Foods?

FoodLinks, an initiative of the International Development Research Centre,
is looking for sources of Organic (certified or potentially-certified)
fruits, vegetables, grains, roots and tubers in developing countries that
could have market potential in Canada and the United States.
Specifically, in promoting equitable and sustainable development,
FoodLinks has developed a Foods Database which provides information about
valuable food products produced in an ethically- and environmentally-sound
manner that could meet niche market demands in North America. We have
found growing interest for food products that are not only healthy, but
also have positive effects on the local ecology and on producer
communities. We wish to expand both the number of producers and the range
of products in our Database and encourage your input.

If you are working with, or are familiar with food producers (coops,
producer association, etc.) that are using sustainable or organic
techniques and who would like to be on our database, please send us a
message that includes the following information:

The Food Product

1. Name of product;
2. What are the unique and/or valuable characteristics of the product
(nutritional, functional, medicinal, etc.) that could be marketed in North
America?
3. What varieties are available and what are their differences?
4. What are the current uses of the product, in the home and in the markets?
5. How is the product currently processed? What level of technology is used
for processing; is it processed locally, regionally or outside the country?
6. Are the products organically grown (or pesticide-free)?
7. What is the estimated level of the product available for
commercialization?

The Food Producer

1. Name and location of producer groups (complete address, e-mail,
phone,fax, and related contact information);
2. Who are the producers? What are their forms of association (cooperative,
private entrepreneurs, etc.)?
3. Do the producers adhere to all of FoodLinks' Environmental and Ethical
Criteria (see FoodLinks WWW Homepage, or contact us for details).

FoodLinks
P.O. Box 2500, 11th Floor, 250 Albert Street
Ottawa, ON K1G 3H9 CANADA

WWW Homepage: www.idrc.ca/foodlinks/index.html
E-mail: foodlinks@idrc.ca
Phone: (613) 236-6163 ext 2439