From: Bob MacGregor, INTERNET:RDMACGREGOR@gov.pe.ca
To: Patricia Dines, 73652,1202
Date: Wed, Dec 4, 1996, 6:23 AM
Subject: World's Beeswax Contamination Increasing -Reply

By the way, to the best of my knowledge, the honeybees on our little Island are
mite-free. Because of our harsh winters, it used to be routine to import New
Zealand bees to start new colonies each year. We no longer import any bees and
our colony numbers now exceed what they were ten years ago, when the upsurge in
mite infestations elsewhere first started restricting sources of new colonies.
As our beekeepers hone their skills at overwintering honeybees, we have the
potential to become a source (albeit a limited one) of disease-free mated
queens.

So, the decimation of North American honeybee colonies is not ubiquitous...

BOB

for further info:

http://198.167.60.35/agriculture/documents/beenewlt.html

----
<I asked him for more info on his island and its bees, and he replied this:>

... I now live in Prince Edward Island, an idyllic spot (except for the next few
frozen months) just north of Nova Scotia. Although there are many native bee
species here, I don't think any of them are honeybees. We are fortunate that
one of our (honey) beekeepers is did Masters work on bee genetics; he is working
to develop improved winter survival characteristics by collecting queen
cells from wild (feral, actually) honeybee colonies which have survived
an Island winter (I have one such colony in a dead spruce snag on my property).
===