Re: marketing

Mary Gold (mgold@nal.usda.gov)
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 09:51:48 -0500 (EST)

Hello Debi,

An update on Marketing resource lists/ bibliographies:

The Alternative Farming Systems Information Center has recently updated
its publication "Organic Production: Recent Publications and Current
Information Sources" (SRB 96-07) and it has a fairly good listing of
materials under Economics and Marketing. I can send you a hardcopy
version of this free publication or e-mail you the listings just from this
chapter. The entire publication will posted on our WWW homepage soon.
(http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic)

ATTRA may have an information packet on marketing: 1-800-346-9140

In addition, I recently discovered Laurie Hodges' very helpful "Resource
List for Marketing Alternative Crops" on the University of Nebraska/
Lincoln Website: http://ianr/www.unl.edu/ianr/pubs/nebfacts/nf92-107.htm

Finally, a couple of years ago, Penn State Cooperative Extension published
something called "Farmer's Guide to Marketing Resources". It is not a
glossy, high-tech tool, but there is a lot of practical information in it.
There is a general section on Marketing Resources for All Producers, and
then supplemental sections for specific growers, e.g. Fruit and Vegetable
Growers, Plant Producers, etc. Much of the information is local to
Pennsylvania; however, the publication itself is a great model showing
what kind of resources can be found.

The original contact for the Penn State booklets is L. Jeffrey Patton,
Extension Marketing Agent, Lehigh County Cooperative Extension, 4184
Dorney Park Road, Allentown PA 18104-5798, phone 610-391-9840; fax
610-391-0683.

Let me know if you would like more information on any of the above, and
please keep me posted on the things that you find!

Sincerely,

Mary V. Gold, Assistant Coordinator
Alternative Farming Systems Information Center
National Agricultural Library, ARS, USDA
10301 Baltimore Ave., Room 304
Beltsville MD 20705-2351
phone 301-504-6559
fax 301-504-6409