GRAZE-L digest 165 (fwd)

Nat Bacon (nbacon@moose.uvm.edu)
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 11:14:16 -0800 (PST)

Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:26:16 -0600
From: graze-l@relay.doit.wisc.edu
To: Multiple recipients of list <graze-l@relay.doit.wisc.edu>
Subject: GRAZE-L digest 165

The manure patch (larryc@teleport.com (Larry Caldwell))
More riparian zone management info (larryc@teleport.com (Larry Caldwell))
Portable parlors a prime possibility? (<mpludwig@students.wisc.edu>)

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 22:47:14 -0600
From: Mark Ludwig <mpludwig@students.wisc.edu>
To: "Graze List" <graze-l@cygnus.taranaki.ac.nz>
Subject: Re: Speaking of soil

At 09:10 AM 12/14/96 -0600, you wrote:

>We have decided to try to improve the area. We have another field that we
>have intensively grazed for 5 years. It started out as a plain dirt crop
>field and now it produces quite well. We have taken two cuttings from it
>and are distributing the bales down the hillside that is noted above in
>fairly close proximity to each other.
>
>It is our plan to use this as a bit of a feedlot for a poriton of the winter
>to concentrate all the organic matter from the transferred grass and the
>resulting output of the animals also.
>
>Has anyone tried this before and what were the results?
>
>Is there any I should learn from you prior to executing this plan?
>

>Best Regards,
>
>Jon Alan Gammon
>P.O. Box 559
>Ben Franklin, Texas 75415-0559
>Phone: 903 325 4210
>Fax: 903 325 4322
>Email: ezhandle@koyote.com

What seems most important here to me is how much manure you are adding to
how much land. If the "feed lot" will end up with 6 inches of manure you
will need to incorperate or compost the material for maximum benifit. A
thin layer will be more easily weathered in and buried by the soil life. A
rotovator will do a good job of turning the manure and mixing it with soil.
Compost turners are available if you want to windrow i, other people have
placed pigs in manure piles with added barley or corn piles buried in the
piles for incentives to turn them (use big piggies for turning power) . You
may want to add phosphorus to your manure to help retain nitrogen, but test
your soil to make sure you need it.