Re: Willie's Question re GE

David S. Conner (dconner@zoo.uvm.edu)
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 10:05:39 -0500 (EST)

Greetings everyone.
As to your query on the BST labeling law, here's my take.
Vermont state legislature passed and enacted a law requiring the
labeling of all dairy products that MAY have been produced with BST
(producers claiming they did not use it had to sign an
affidavit). The law required a blue dot or plastic overlay over
the price tag of these products. The law was eventually shut
down by a federal judge, who stated the right of producers
not to divulge their ingredients or producton methods was equal
or greater than the public's right to know. (I'm paraphrasing,
not quoting the judge's decision)
As to why it was a failure, in a state wide poll, only about
20% of respondents both noticed a change in how dairy products
were labeled and were able to correctly identify the label's
meaning. I believe it was because consumers had to look at any
of three or four places, and only after not seeing the label
could they be sure that the product was BST-free.
The law was designed in this way (according to the state Dept. of
AG assigned to implement the law) so as not to place the burden
upon those not using it (i.e., so they would not have to
change their labels)However, the burden then fell on retailers,
who were not happy about this (according to the spokesman for
the state grocers assoc).
My research and that of others has found that consumers would be
willing to pay a premium for BST-free milk, and that this could
be used to pay for a change in label. It would, to my mind, be
simpler for the concerned consumer, to look simply for a
"BST-free" label and buy it, then to have to look for the lack
of a label. This would also not violate the (BST-using)producer's
right to divulge against their will. This is, in my view, a
solution most conducive
to providing consumers with the information they need to make a
decison consistent with their values (something like
"dolphin-free" tuna or cruelty free cosmetics).
Hope this clears up my position. Feel free to comment
take care
DC
David Conner
Center for Rural Studies