Kenaf

Patricia Dines (73652.1202@compuserve.com)
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 09:04:07 -0500

<<Requesting any information that you may have concerning Kenaf production,
growth, and market prices. Myslef and others are interested in growing
Kenaf this spring.>>

You might try the resources below. You might also contact Earth Island -
they print their magazine on tree-free paper, which I recall being Kenaf,
and they have a ReThink Paper project. 300 Broadway Suite 28, San Francisco
CA 94133 (415) 788-3666. earthisland@igc.apc.org,
http://www.earthisland.org/ei/

Hope this is helpful.

P. Dines

--------------- Forwarded Message ---------------

From: carol cross, INTERNET:solync@cei.net
To: Patricia Dines, 73652,1202
Date: Sat, Jul 13, 1996, 8:18 PM
Subject: Kenaf OnLine Newsletter
To: sanet-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
CC: ag-forst@net.bio.net, afta@lists.missouri.edu

Kenaf OnLine Newsletter
The Internet Newsletter about kenaf and agroresidues is now available on
a free subscription basis.
This is a biweekly OnLine Newsletter about kenaf and agroresidues for
development. You can be included on the list to receive Kenaf OnLine
if you have an interest in either kenaf, agroresidues, EcoAgroForestry,
sustainable agriculture, sustainable forestry or rural agroindustrial
development.
Feel free to contribute articles, information and questions.

Introduction To Kenaf
Kenaf (Hibiscus cannabinus L.) is a warm season annual closely related
to cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) and okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L.).
Kenaf can be used as a domestic supply of cordage fiber in the
manufacture of rope, twine, carpet backing and burlap. Research, in the
early 1940s, focused on - the development of high-yielding
anthracnose-resistant varieties, cultural practices and harvesting
machinery. During the 1950s, kenaf was identified as a promising fiber
source for paper pulp. Kenaf fibers have been processed into high
quality newsprint and bond paper. Although kenaf is usually considered
a fiber crop, research indicates that it has high protein content and,
therefore, is a potential livestock feed. Crude protein in kenaf leaves
ranged from 21 to 34 percent, stalk crude protein ranged from 10 to 12
percent, and whole-plant crude protein ranged from 16 to 23 percent.
Kenaf can be ensilaged effectively, and it has satisfactory
digestibility with a high percentage of digestible protein.
Digestibility of dry matter and crude proteins in kenaf feeds ranged
from 53 to 58 percent, and 59 to 71 percent, respectively Kenaf meal,
used as a supplement in a rice ration for sheep, compared favorably with
a ration containing alfalfa meal.

In addition to the use of kenaf for cordage, paper pulp and livestock
feed researchers have investigated its use as poultry litter and animal
bedding, bulking agent for sewage sludge composting and as a potting
soil amendment. Additional products include automobile dashboards,
carpet padding, corrugated medium, as a "substitute for fiberglass and
other synthetic fibers," building materials (particle boards of various
densities, thicknesses, and fire and insect resistances), absorbents,
textiles and as fibers in extraction molded plastics.

If you want to receive this weekly update OnLine newsletter on kenaf
happenings as well as How to do it articles, just send to Dr. Carol
Cross at solync@cei.net.

Kenaf OnLine (KENAFOL) is a World Wide Web/Internet NetMag focused on
creating a Sustainable world through kenaf and agroresidues for Rural
Agroindustrial Centers (RAICs), Village Business Incubators(VBIs) and
Tropical Cut and Carry Teams (TCCTs). KENAFOL will be developed just
like any print magazine. You can contribute articles, ask questions and
develop your kenaf expertise at no cost to you.

Subscriptions are open to anyone intereted in kenaf and agroresidues.
Just send email to solync@cei.net and say:

subscribe KENAFOL

--- FORWARD ---

_Have Disk, Will Read_
Most wood is used in construction or for making
paper. The latest issue of The Green Disk -- a
journal of contemporary environmental issues
published bimonthly on computer disk -- examines
alternatives to the use of wood for both of these
applications, whether it is using straw or earth as
building materials or the use of alternative fibers
such as hemp, kenaf, and agricultural wastes to
make paper.

The current issue of The Green Disk contains
extensive background articles on alternative fibers
and wood conservation, plus comprehensive listings
of organizations, companies, publications, WWW
sites, and other resources for learning, purchasing
and becoming involved in the transformation of our
materials economy. Regular features -- including
all the latest environmental news, listings of new
publications and other media, meetings, jobs, index
of magazines and newsletters, and more -- are also
included on the latest issue disk.

Green Disk is available in Mac and IBM formats. To
order, please visit <http://www.igc.org/greendisk>,
send an email message to greendisk@igc.org, or
write to: The Green Disk, POB 32224, Washington, DC 20007.

-----
THIS INFORMATION PROVIDED BY: Patricia Dines
73652.1202@compuserve.com

Specializing in educating and empowering citizen action on toxics and their
alternatives, and how we might work together to create a healthy global
ecosystem, with healthy people, agriculture, etc. I do this work through
writing articles, classes, booklets, and other materials, and through
teaching and giving talks.

Please contact me for more information on my services, how it might support
your goals, to make a financial contribution so that I can continue my work
(often made for free), or to alert me to potential clients who might be
supported by my services. If this information helps you make money, please
consider passing some of that along to support my work!

Thanks!
-----