Re: Irradiation/P.Dines/D.Worley

Daniel D. Worley (dan.worley@juno.com)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:51:25 AST

Jeff, you wrote in part:

>Methods of food production, processing and distribution that increase
the
>distance between the producer and the consumer, either physically or
>spiritually, can hardly contribute to sustainabilty or strengthen the
bond
>between ourselves and our planet. I believe this argument alone is
enough
>to put irradiation into the undesirable technology category.

Please don't take this as a personal affront. I simply want to ask you
a couple of questions that, when you are answering them, may provide
yourself and us with a better insight into the subject.

1. Do you always use or sell all of your produce locally (within 25
miles)?
2. Do you ever buy any food that is not grown within 25 miles of your
farm?
3. Do you buy ever any food that is not grown within 200 miles of your
farm?
4. If the answer to question 1 is Yes, do you make all of your income
from the farm?

You did not say where you are located. If you could answer No to
questions 2 and 3, and you are eating a well balanced, fully nutritious
diet, then you are indeed very lucky to live in one of those temperate
zones where almost anything can be grown and produced in quantity. If
not, I have to ask the final question:
5. Do you foresee at any time within your lifetime, or the lifetime of
your children, when you will be able to supply all of your/their needs
locally?

I believe that sustainable agriculture is an attainable goal, so long
as we do not place unrealistic limits on it. Long distance shipping of
food and food products and sustainable agriculture are not mutually
exclusive concepts.

--Dan in Sunny Puerto Rico--